Toreros Take Advantage of Ailing Huskies for 5-2 Win
March 21, 2007
Cor's victory was the first win for the Huskies at the No. 1 singles spot this season. Cor, who snapped a personal four-matchless winless streak, beat Monica Wiesener, 6-4, 6-1 to earn the Huskies' first No. 1 singles victory in 13 tries.
Ardies won her team-high eleventh singles match this season (11-9 overall, 6-7 dual matches), taking out Samantha Mouly in three sets. Ardies won a super tie breaker 10-0 to earn the second point for the Huskies, who dropped to 1-12 on the season.
Washington was forced to play just five singles matches after Allison Rainey was unable to compete on the singles side. The Toreros won in the No. 3-5 matches to put away the Dawgs.
San Diego jumped out to the 1-0 advantage, winning two of the three doubles matches. Melinda Wong and Tara Simpson won 8-6 in the No. 2 doubles match to improve to 10-6 as a pair, but the Huskies couldn't pull out either of the other doubles matches. Cor and Ardies lost in a 7-3 tie-breaker at No. 1, while Rainey and freshman Lauren Summers lost 8-2 in the No. 3 match.
Washington returns home for a four-match home stand beginning with Boise State on Thursday at 12 pm.
SAN DIEGO 5, WASHINGTON 2
USD West Tennis Courts-San Diego, Calif.
1. Demidoya/Vogt (USD) def. Cor/Ardies (UW), 9-8 (7-3)
2. Wong/Simpson (UW) def. Lindstrand/Taylor (USD), 8-6
3. Weisner/Perl (USD) def. Rainey/Summers (UW), 8-2
1. Mathilde Cor (UW) def. Monica Wiesener (USD), 6-4, 6-1
2. Joyce Ardies (UW) def. Samantha Mouly (USD), 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (10-0)
3. Helene Lindstrand (USD) def. Tara Simpson (UW), 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
4. Alexandra Demidova (USD) def. Melinda Wong (UW), 6-2, 6-3
5. Zoe Taylor (USD) def. Lauren Summers (UW), 6-1, 6-0
6. Justine Perl (USD) def. Allison Rainey (UW), Rainey Withdraws