No. 22 Women's Tennis Tops 'Cats 6-1 in Tucson
March 24, 2007
TEMPE, Ariz. - The ASU Women's Tennis team had no pity on the kitty Saturday afternoon as they traveled to Tucson to take on their Pac-10 and in-state rival, Arizona, winning 6-1 against the 'Cats. The Sun Devils are now 9-6 overall as they head to the Bay Area next weekend to take on Cal and Stanford.
The Sun Devils came out ready to play as they swept doubles from the 'Cats with the ninth-ranked duo of Kady Pooler and Roxanne Clarke leading the way taking an 8-2 win over Kasia Jakowlew and Natalia Toporowska. Teammates Rebecca Rankin and Laila Abdala sealed the point for the Devils with an 8-4 defeat of UA's Jessie Rochefort and Juliette Mavroleon.
ASU never relinquished the lead as they rallied off five wins in singles action with Kady Pooler, Laila Abdala, Rebecca Rankin and Roxanne Clarke all making quick work of their Wildcat opponents, beating them in straight sets. Rebecca Rankin sealed the match, as her 6-1, 6-4 win over Camelia Todorova gave ASU the win.
The Sun Devils will hit the road again next weekend as they head to the Bay Area to continue Pac-10 play where they'll take on Cal and Stanford next Friday, March 30 and 31 in Berkeley and Palo Alto, California.
Results from ASU vs. Arizona
1. (9) Pooler/Clarke (ASU) def Jakowlew/Toporowska (UA) - 8-2
2. Capannolo/Leitch (ASU) def Steinberg/Todorova (UA) - 7-6 (7-3)
3. Rankin/L. Abdala (ASU) def Rochefort/Mavroleon (UA) - 8-4
1. (107) Danielle Steinberg (UA) def (63) Sabrina Capannolo (ASU) - 7-6(2), 6-2
2. (29) Nadia Abdala (ASU) def Juliette Mavroleon (UA) - 1-6, 6-1, 6-2
3. (94) Roxanne Clarke (ASU) def Natalia Toporowska (UA) - 6-2, 7-5
4. Kady Pooler (ASU) def Kasia Jakowlew (UA) - 6-1, 6-2
5. Rebecca Rankin (ASU) def Camelia Todorova (UA) - 6-1, 6-4
6. Laila Abdala (ASU) def Tina Razloznik (UA) - 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish:
Doubles - 1, 3, 2
Singles - 6, 4, 5, 3, 2, 1