No. 3 Women's Tennis Breezes Past Cal Poly, 7-0
March 25, 2007
STANFORD, Calif.- Despite having not played a match in two weeks, No. 3 Stanford continued its winning ways with a dominating 7-0 rout of Cal Poly on Sunday afternoon at the Taube Tennis Center.
Sunday's match was Stanford's first since a 5-2 win against Texas back on Mar. 11, and the Cardinal (12-1, 1-0 Pac-10) looked sharp while recording its ninth consecutive dual match win.
The Cardinal closed out its current five-match homestand with a convincing win over the Mustangs (5-9, 2-3 Big West), improving to 8-0 at home this year.
Stanford captured the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead and followed with straight-set victories at all six singles positions.
In singles action, Anne Yelsey easily dispatched of Cal Poly's Steffi Wong 6-0, 6-0 at the No. 2 spot in Stanford's most lopsided win.
Meanwhile, Burdette won her 11th straight match and posted her team-leading 17th overall victory with a 6-1, 6-3 decision over Maria Malec at No. 5 singles. Deason and Logar, who lead the Cardinal with 11 dual match wins apiece, captured easy 6-0, 6-1 and 6-1, 6-1 wins at the Nos. 4 and 1 spots, respectively.
Sunday's victory represented the 180th win of head coach Lele Forood's tenure on The Farm, as she is now 180-4.
Stanford returns to action on Wednesday, Mar. 28, in a 1:30 p.m. match at UNLV. It will be the Cardinal's first road match in more than a month.
No. 3 Stanford 7, Cal Poly 0
1) No. 34 Burdette/Yelsey (STAN) d. Blalock/Filip (POLY) 8-1
2) Durkin/Hodzic (STAN) d. Brady/Malec (POLY) 8-7 (2)
3) Deason/Logar (STAN) d. Wong/Bradford (POLY) 8-0
Stanford wins doubles point, leads match 1-0
1) No. 11 Theresa Logar (STAN) d. Brittany Blalock (POLY) 6-1, 6-1
2) No. 37 Anne Yelsey (STAN) d. Steffi Wong (POLY) 6-0, 6-0
3) No. 10 Celia Durkin (STAN) d. Shannon Brady (POLY) 6-2, 6-0
4) No. 73 Whitney Deason (STAN) d. Diane Filip (POLY) 6-0, 6-1
5) No. 48 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) d. Maria Malec (POLY) 6-1, 6-3
6) Lejla Hodzic (STAN) d. Devin Peek (POLY) 6-0, 6-3