Stanford Drops 5-2 Decision to BYU
March 26, 2007
The Cardinal returned to action today after a 16-day break with the intent of playing both BYU and Santa Clara in a rare tennis doubleheader. In today's first match, BYU handed the Cardinal a 5-2 defeat at the Taube Tennis Center. The Cardinal and Broncos are scheduled to play in a 5:00 pm match.
BYU won the doubles point and, after Stanford tied the score at 1-1, reeled off four straight singles victories to clinch the win. The Cougars (9-8) won the doubles point by winning at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles after Stanford's No. 1 team of Richard Wire and Blake Muller beat Dominik Kaufhold and James Ludlow, 8-5.
Stanford (3-9) tied the score at 1-1 when Jeff Zeller, playing No. 6, defeated BYU's Michael Eraso in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2. But the Cougars won at Nos. 2-5 to clinch the match.
Wire, ranked No. 110 nationally, won his match at No. 1 singles as he came from behind to beat James Ludlow, ranked No. 105, 6-7, 6-1, 6-1.
Stanford returns to action on Wednesday, March 28, when they face Harvard at the Taube Tennis Center beginning at 12:00 pm.
BYU 5, Stanford 2
Doubles (BYU wins doubles point)
1. Richard Wire / Blake Muller (S) d. Dominik Kaufhold / James Ludlow (BYU), 8-5
2. Christian Hand / Jonathon Sanchez (BYU) d. Eric McKean / Kevin Kaiser (S), 8-4
3. Cassidy Mears / Cale Planck (BYU) d. Paul Morrissey / Jeff Zeller (S), 8-4
1. No. 110 Richard Wire (S) d. No. 105 James Ludlow (BYU) 6-7, 6-1, 6-1
2. Dominik Kaufhold (BYU) d. Blake Muller (S), 6-2, 6-2
3. Christian Hand (BYU) d. Eric McKean (S), 6-2, 6-7, 6-1
4. Jonathon Sanchez (BYU) d. Kevin Kaiser (S), 6-4, 1-6, 6-2
5. Cassidy Mears (BYU) d. Paul Morrissey (S), 6-3, 6-3
6. Jeff Zeller (S) d. Michael Eraso (BYU), 6-4, 6-2
Records: Stanford (3-9), BYU (9-8)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 9/27 | 12:00pm PTLive