Harvard Defeats Stanford, 5-2
March 28, 2007
Stanford lost its fourth straight match today as visiting Harvard beat the Cardinal 5-2 in a non-conference match at the Taube Tennis Center. Richard Wire won his match at No. 1 singles as he beat the Crimson's Chris Clayton, the 77th ranked player in the country. Stanford travels to Arizona this weekend to play the Wildcats on Friday and Arizona State on Saturday.
Wire, ranked No. 110 in the nation, was impressive in beating Clayton, 6-1, 6-0. Stanford's other victory came at No. 4 when Jeff Zeller beat Scott Denenberg, 3-6, 6-4, 1-0. Harvard took a 1-0 lead after winning the doubles point, the clinched the match after winning four of the six singles matches.
Harvard (4-5) won at No. 2 singles when Dan Nguyen beat Blake Muller, 7-6, 6-2. Ashwin Kumar defeated Stanford's Kevin Kaiser, 6-2, 6-2 at No. 3, Gideon Valkin beat David Ryan, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 5 and Sasha Ermakov handed Paul Morrissey a 6-2, 6-3 defeat at No. 6 singles.
Non-Conference: Harvard 5, Stanford 2
Doubles (Harvard wins doubles point)
1. Ashwin Kumar / Sasha Ermakov (H) d. Richard Wire / Blake Muller (S), 8-6
2. Eric McKean / Matt Bruch (S) d. Kieran Burke / Dan Nguyen (H), 8-4
3. Scott Denenberg / Gideon Valkin (H) d. Paul Morrissey / Kevin Kaiser (S), 8-4
1. No. 110 Richard Wire (S) d. No. 77 Chris Clayton (H), 6-1, 6-0
2. Dan Nguyen (H) d. Blake Muller (S), 7-6, 6-2
3. Ashwin Kumar (H) d. Kevin Kaiser (S), 6-2, 6-2
4. Jeff Zeller (S) d. Scott Denenberg (H), 3-6, 6-4, 1-0
5. Gideon Valkin (H) d. David Ryan (S), 6-2, 6-3
6. Sasha Ermakov (H) d. Paul Morrissey (S), 6-2, 6-3
Records: Stanford (3-10), Harvard (4-5)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Fri 11/16 | 6:00pm PTLive