Chu Earns Upset Win, But No. 9 UCLA Beats Huskies
March 31, 2007
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Husky senior Daniel Chu beat UCLA's Haythem Abid, ranked 40th in the nation, but the ninth-ranked Bruins beat the Huskies 6-1 in a Pac-10 Conference match on Saturday. The 30th-ranked Huskies fell to 12-5 on the season, 0-2 in Pac-10 action, while UCLA improved to 13-3, 2-0.
Chu earned the first victory in singles by a Husky over a nationally ranked opponent this season, taking down Abid at the No. 2 spot 6-4, 7-5. The victory gives Chu 150 combined doubles and singles wins in his Husky career, sixth most in school history.
UCLA swept the three doubles matches and earned straight-set wins in three of the singles matches. Among the straight-set winners was defending NCAA singles champion Ben Kohlloeffel, who beat Alex Slovic 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 1 singles match.
At No. 3, Andy Kuharszky took Chris Surapol, ranked 65th in the nation to three sets, but lost 6-1 in the third. The only other three set match was at No. 4 where Patrik Fischer took Philipp Gruendler to a tie-breaker, but lost 7-5.
The Huskies return home for a pair of Pac-10 Conference matches against California and Stanford next week. Washington will face Cal on Friday, April 6 at 1 p.m. and Stanford on Saturday, April 7 at 1 p.m.
No. 30 Washington at No. 11 UCLA
UCLA 6, UW 1
1. #13 Gruendler/Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. #31Slovic/Daniel Chu (UW), 8-3
2. Surapol/Haythem Abid (UCLA) def. Fischer/Michael Ricks (UW), 8-5
3. Dehaine/Jeremy Drean (UCLA) def. Kuharszky/Drabble (UW), 5-4 (3)
Singles:1. #5 Ben Kohlloeffell (UCLA) def. Alex Slovic (UW), 6-3, 6-3
2. Daniel Chu (UW) def. #40 Haythem Abid (UCLA), 6-4, 7-5
3. #65 Chris Surapol (UCLA) def. Andy Kuharszky (UW), 6-1, 3-6, 6-1
4. Philipp Gruendler (UCLA) def. Patrik Fischer (UW), 4-6, 6-1, 7-6 (5)
5. Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) def. Derek Drabble (UW), 6-2, 7-6
6. Michael Look (UCLA) def. David Chu (UW), 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish
Doubles: 2, 1, 3
Singles: 6, 5, 1, 3, 2, 4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:30pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive