No. 1 Stanford Defeats No. 19 Arizona State 5-2
March 31, 2007
No. 1 Stanford defeated No. 19 Arizona State 5-2 on Saturday at the Taube Tennis Center to win their 12th straight match with a dominating performance against the Arizona State Sun Devils.
Stanford took an early 1-0 lead with a sweep in the doubles competition. At the No.1 spot Lindsay Burdette and Anne Yelsey defeated Roxanne Clark and Kady Pooler of ASU 8-4. Soon after Celia Durkin and Lejla Hodzic beat Sabrina Cappanolo and Jessica Leitch 8-5. To complete the doubles sweep, Whitney Deason and Theresa Logar got past Rebecca Rankin and Laila Abdala 8-6.
Stanford improved to 15-1 overall and a perfect 3-0 in Pac-10 play. Arizona State dropped to 9-7 and 1-2 overall in Pac-10 conference play.
The Cardinal won all four completed singles matches to finish the day with a 5-0 victory. No. 37 Anne Yelsey defeated No. 29 ranked Nadia Abdala 6-2, 6-1 to punctuate the day. Stanford won all the completed matches in straight sets with No. 11 Theresa Logar defeated No. 63 Sabrina Capannolo 6-4, 6-3.
Stanford continues its home stand next weekend with both Washington schools coming to the Taube Tennis Center. The Cardinal will play Washington State on Friday, April 6th at 12:00 PM and Washington Saturday, April 7th at 1:30 PM.
1) No. 34 Burdette/Yelsey (STAN) d. No. 9 Clarke/Pooler (ASU) 8-4
2) Durkin/Hodzic (STAN) d. Capannol/Leitch (ASU) 8-5
3) Deason/Logar (STAN) d. Rankin/L. Abdala (ASU) 8-6 Stanford wins doubles point, leads match 1-0
1) No. 11 Theresa Logar (STAN) d. No. 63 Sabrina Capannolo (ASU) 6-4, 6-3
2) No. 37 Anne Yelsey (STAN) d. No. 29 Nadia Abdala (ASU) 6-2, 6-1
3) No. 10 Celia Durkin (STAN) d. No. 93 Roxanne Clark (ASU) 6-1, 6-1
4) No. 73 Whitney Deason (STAN) d. Kady Pooler (ASU) 6-3, 6-1
5) Rebecca Rankin (ASU) vs. No. 48 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) 7-6, 3-6, 3-2 DNF ASU Wins Tiebreaker 12-10
6) L. Abdala (ASU) vs Lejla Hodzic (STAN) 6-3, 3-6, 0-4 DNF ASU Wins Tiebreak 10-7
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 9/27 | 12:00pm PTLive