Bruch's Return Lifts Stanford to 5-2 Win at Oregon
April 6, 2007
All-American Matt Bruch's return to the starting lineup in both singles and doubles and Jeff Zeller's win at No. 6 helped the Cardinal beat Oregon 5-2 today in Eugene. It was Stanford's third straight win and fourth in its last five outings and it improved the Cardinal's record to 7-11 overall and 2-1 in the Pac-10.
The match was certainly in doubt as the Nos. 4-6 singles matches each went into a third set. The Cardinal lead 3-1 after Bruch's win at No. 1, but Eric McKean, Kevin Kaiser and Zeller, playing Nos. 4-6, were locked in tight three set matches. Oregon closed the gap to 3-2 when Mike Myrhed beat Kaiser 6-4 in the third set and both McKean and Zeller went to tie-breakers to decide the match.
Zeller, playing No. 6, won his tie-breaker 7-5 to win the match and give Stanford the win. Zeller beat Francisco Gallardo 6-2, 2-6, 7-6 for the match clincher. Moments later, McKean closed out his tie-breaker, 7-3, and Stanford had itself a much needed conference road win.
Bruch, who has played doubles for the past five matches, played in his first singles match since February 18 at the National Team Indoors. He and teammate Blake Muller, the 27th ranked doubles team in the country, gave Stanford a 1-0 lead by recording the clinching match victory in doubles, an 8-5 win over Marcos Verdasco and Francisco Gallardo.
In singles, Bruch's win at No. 1 put the Cardinal on top 3-1. He defeated Verdasco in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1, for his first singles win since Feb. 17. The Cardinal's other win in singles came at No. 3 as Blake Muller beat Ric Mortera in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2.
Stanford plays at Washington tomorrow in a match that begins at 1:30 pm. Live stats and live video are available at www.gohuskies.com.
Pac-10 Conference: Stanford 5, Oregon 2
April 6, 2007
Student Tennis Center
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. No. 27 Matt Bruch / Blake Muller (S) d. Marcos Verdasco / Francisco Gallardo (O), 8-5
2. Geoff Embry / Alexander Cornelissen (O) d. Richard Wire / Paul Morrissey (S), 8-6
3. Eric McKean / Kevin Kaiser (S) d. Ric Mortera / Stephen Wiechert (O), 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Matt Bruch (S) d. Marcos Verdasco (O), 6-4, 6-1
2. Alexander Cornelissen (O) d. Richard Wire (S), 6-2, 6-1
3. Blake Muller (S) d. Ric Mortera (O), 6-3, 6-2
4. Eric McKean (S) d. Geoff Embry (O), 5-7, 6-2, 7-6
5. Mike Myrhed (O) d. Kevin Kaiser (S), 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
6. Jeff Zeller (S) d. Francisco Gallardo (O), 6-2, 2-6, 7-6
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1, 5, 6, 4
Records: Stanford (7-11, 2-1), Oregon (9-10, 0-3)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Fri 8/17 | 5:00pm PTLive