Cal Comes Back To Beat Washington
April 6, 2007
SEATTLE, Wash. - On the brink of defeat, the California men's tennis team came back to beat Washington, 4-3, Friday afternoon at Bill Quillian Stadium. The Golden Bears won four singles matches after losing the doubles point. The Huskies held a 3-2 lead before Cal won the last two matches of the day.
Cal (12-7, 2-1) not only had to contend with Washington (12-6, 0-3), but also had numerous players battling sickness. Tyler Browne, one of the ill players, won a hard-fought match against Daniel Chu, earning the 7-6, 1-6, 6-4 victory.
'Tyler played a fantastic match today,' Cal head coach Peter Wright said. 'Tyler had no gas left, but he won a heroic, three-set match.'
Browne's victory tied the match at three before Ken Nakahara clinched the victory for the Bears. Nakahara also won a tough, three-set match as he defeated Patrik Fischer, 6-7, 7-6, 6-3.
'Ken was down a set and losing 5-2,' Wright said. 'He clinched the match for us in another phenomenal performance.'
The other two singles wins came by Daniel Sebescen and Kallim Stewart, both in straight sets. Sebescen was the second Cal player to finish, knocking off Derek Drabble, 6-3, 6-2. Stewart was next to wrap up his match, giving the Bears a 2-1 lead. The freshman won a close first set over Michael Ricks, 7-6, before taking the second, 6-3.
'I'm proud of these guys, it was a really gutsy performance,' Wright said. 'We competed like dogs and we earned this one. It's a testament to how hard we've worked.'
Although the Bears lost the doubles point, Sebescen and Pierre Mouillon picked up a win on the third court. The Cal duo defeated Drabble and Andy Kuharsky, 8-5.
The Bears head to Oregon for a showdown with the Ducks tomorrow at 1:30 p.m.
1. Alex Slovic (Wash) def. Pierre Mouillon (Cal), 6-2, 6-1
2. Tyler Browne (Cal) def. Daniel Chu (Wash), 7-6, 1-6, 6-4
3. Andy Kuharszky (Wash) def. Eoin Heavey (Cal), 6-1, 7-5
4. Ken Nakahara (Cal) def. Patrik Fischer (Wash), 6-7, 7-6, 6-3
5. Daniel Sebescen (Cal) def. Derek Drabble (Wash), 6-3, 6-2
6. Kallim Stewart (Cal) def. Michael Ricks (Wash), 7-6, 6-3
1. Slovic/Daniel Chu (Wash) def. Browne/John Pettit (Cal), 8-4
2. Fischer/Michael Ricks (Wash) def. Geoff Chizever/Heavey (Cal), 9-7
3. Mouillon/Sebescen (Cal) def. Kuharszky/Drabble (Wash), 8-5
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 1, 3, 2
Singles: 1, 5, 6, 3, 2, 4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 3:30pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:30pm PTLive