USC Beats Pepperdine, Advances To NCAA Sweet 16
May 12, 2007
No. 12 USC, winner of 16 national titles and making its 29th NCAA Tournament appearance, remained unbeaten at home this year, defeating defending NCAA champion Pepperdine, 4-0, in an NCAA Championships Men's Tennis second round match at USC's Marks Stadium on Saturday (May 12).
USC improved to 22-2 while Pepperdine fell to 23-8.
Troy's Dejan Cvetkovic and Gary Sacks knocked off the Waves' Andre Begemann and Mahmoud Kamel, 8-4, while USC's Jamil Al-Agba and Garrett Snyder held off Bassam Beidas and James Lemke, 8-5, to give the Trojans the doubles point. USC's Robert Farah and Kaes Van't Hof were leading Omar Altmann and Richard Johnson, 7-6, when the doubles point was clinched.
Farah won USC's first singles point, taking care of Johnson, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 4 singles. Trojan Jason McNaughton then gave USC a 3-0 lead after he dispatched of Pepperdine's Kamel, 7-5, 6-2, at No. 6 singles.
The focus turned to No. 1 singles, where Al-Agba attempted to close out Begemann to clinch the USC win. After Al-Agba won the first set 6-4, the second set seesawed back and forth. Down 5-4 and serving, Begemann fought off two match points to force deuce. But Al-Agba ended the suspense by winning the next two points for the 6-4, 6-4 victory.
Beidas was leading Cvetkovic, 7-6, 2-2 at No. 2 singles, Lemke was leading Van't Hof 6-4, 4-4 at No. 3 singles while Sacks had edged in front of Altmann, 5-7, 6-2, 3-1, at No. 5 singles when Al-Agba clinched the match.
USC, after its first team title since 2002, advances to the Sweet 16, where it is scheduled to face No. 5 Notre Dame on May 17 at the University of Georgia, host school for the final four rounds. The Trojans last advanced this far in 2004, when they reached the national semifinals.
(1) #43 Robert Farah-Kaes Van't Hof (USC) vs. Omar Altmann-Richard Johnson (PEP), 7-6, susp.
(2) Dejan Cvetkovic-Gary Sacks (USC) def. Andre Begemann-Mahmoud Kamel (PEP), 8-4
(3) Jamil Al-Agba-Garrett Snyder (USC) def. Bassam Beidas-James Lemke (PEP), 8-5
Order of Finish: 2,3
(1) #36 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. Andre Begemann (PEP), 6-4, 6-4
(2) #52 Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) vs. Bassam Beidas (PEP), 6-7, 4-5, susp.
(3) #63 Kaes Van't Hof (USC) vs. James Lemke (PEP), 4-6, 4-4, susp.
(4) Robert Farah (USC) def. Richard Johnson (PEP), 6-2, 6-2
(5) Gary Sacks (USC) vs. Omar Altmann (PEP), 5-7, 6-2, 3-1, susp.
(6) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Mahmoud Kamel (PEP), 7-5, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4,6,1