Huskies Battle To Scoreless Double Overtime Draw At Stanford

Oct. 7, 2007

Box Score

STANFORD, Calif. - Washington men's soccer continued its opening weekend of Pac-10 play, battling to a scoreless double overtime draw with Stanford at Cagan Stadium, Sunday afternoon.

The Huskies (5-4-2, 0-1-1) outshot the Cardinal (4-2-4, 1-0-1) 9-7, including a 7-1 advantage in the first-half, but neither team was able to find the back of the net. UW redshirt-freshman goalkeeper Stephen Fung recorded five saves and tallied his fourth shutout of the season. It was Washington's sixth shutout of the year overall. Husky freshman forward Ellis McLoughlin led the squad with four shots, including a near goal off a corner kick in the first half.

The Huskies have now played to overtime three times in the last four matches, with UW posting a 1-1-1 record in those games.

'We are very pleased with the effort,' UW head coach Dean Wurzberger said. 'No goals were scored but it wasn't because of a lack of effort. It was an important bounce back performance for us after a disappointing result at Cal (on Friday). In the hot conditions, we subbed everyone but our backup goalkeeper on. Everyone did their part.'

The match marked the end of a three-game road trip that included a 2-1 loss at No. 21 California in the Huskies' Pac-10 opener, Friday. In fact, Washington has played eight of its first 11 matches on the road but will return to Seattle to host a three-game homestand beginning Oct. 12.

'We really put our team in a position where they had to do well away from home and they've done ever so well to meet that challenge,' Wurzberger said. 'We're now looking forward to getting back to Seattle, and playing a few home games.'

The Huskies' best scoring chance of the first half came when McLoughlin fired a corner kick from junior midfielder Raphael Cox to the left side of the goal and past Stanford goalkeeper Andrew Kartunen but was deflected by defender Bobby Warsaw. The Huskies forced Kartunen to make two diving saves to preserve the shutout in the opening 45 minutes.

Stanford outshot the Huskies 6-1 in the second half, with Fung recording all five of his saves on those six shots after the intermission. UW senior midfielder Derek Crismier tallied the only shot by either team in overtime, his coming in the second overtime period. After Crismier's shot, the Huskies did have three corner kicks in about a minute span but weren't able to convert any of the restarts into goals.

Up next, Washington will host Oregon State, Friday, Oct. 12, at 7 p.m. at Husky Soccer Field.

Washington 0, Stanford 0 (2 OT)
Laird Q. Cagan Stadium; Stanford, Calif.

Scoring - None.
Shots - UW 9, STAN 7
Corners - UW 9, STAN 3
Saves - UW 5 (Stephen Fung), STAN 2 (Andrew Kartunen)
Fouls - UW 13, STAN 14
Offsides - UW 4, STAN 4
Attendance - na

Now on Pac-12 Network
10:30 PM PT

Airing on:

  • Pac-12 Network