Toyo Tires Presents the Pac-10 Scholar-Athlete of the Year Awards
Dec. 12, 2007
CYPRESS, CALIFORNIA - Toyo Tire (U.S.A.) Corporation announces it is the presenting sponsor of the Pac-10 Scholar-Athlete of the Year Awards. Working in cooperation with the Pac-10 Conference, these awards have been established to honor collegiate student-athletes that are standouts both academically and in their sports discipline.
A Scholar-Athlete of the Year will be named in each of the Pac-10's 22 sponsored sports: baseball, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's cross country, women's cross country, football, men's golf, women's golf, women's gymnastics, men's rowing, women's rowing, men's soccer, women's soccer, softball, men's swimming & diving, women's swimming & diving, men's tennis, women's tennis, men's track & field, women's track & field, women's volleyball, and wrestling.
Each Pac-10 institution will nominate one individual per sport, and the winners will be selected by a committee of Pac-10 staff members at the conclusion of each sport's regular season. The athletic accomplishments of the nominees will be a consideration in the voting for the award.
The nomination criteria are:
- senior (in athletics eligibility) on track to receive a degree;
- cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher;
- participation in at least 50% of the scheduled contest in the sport; and
- minimum of one year in residence at the institution
'Toyo is proud to support the Pac-10 and to acknowledge outstanding student-athletes for their efforts,' said Steve Hutchinson, senior director of marketing, Toyo Tire (U.S.A.) Corporation. 'By supporting today's achievers, we feel we are helping to grow tomorrow's leaders.'
The Scholar-Athletes of the Year in each sport will receive a commemorative award. Toyo® will donate $1,000 to the scholarship funds of the institution's athletic department of each winner in recognition of their accomplishments. The nomination and awarding process continues from now until May 19, 2008.
The first Pac-10 Scholar-Athletes of the Year, presented by Toyo Tires, have been selected for the athletic disciplines which include cross country, football, soccer and volleyball. The winners are:
- Spencer Larsen (Gilbert, Ariz.), University of Arizona, Football - 3.70 GPA, Regional Development
- Angie Pressey (Heathrow, Fla.), University of California at Berkeley, Volleyball - 3.47 GPA, History
- Kevin Forrest (Edmonds, Wash.), University of Washington, Men's Soccer - 3.45 GPA, Business Administration
- Neftalem Araia (Indianapolis, Ind.), Stanford University, Men's Cross Country - 3.49 GPA, Communications (BA, Sociology (MA)
- Rachel Buehler (Del Mar, Calif.), Stanford University, Women's Soccer - 4.00 GPA, Human Biology/Pre-Med
- Arianna Lambie (Harvard, Mass.), Stanford University, Women's Cross Country - 3.97 GPA, Earth Systems
'The Pac-10 welcomes Toyo Tires' sponsorship of the Conference's Student-Athlete of the Year Awards, and joins Toyo in recognizing these student-athletes during the 2007-08 academic year,' said Tom Hansen, Commissioner of the Pac-10. 'To be selected as the best student-athlete in any sport in the Pac-10 is a very special honor, and these are special young people, in academics as well as athletics. We are very appreciative that Toyo is helping them gain the recognition they deserve for their unique achievements.'
In addition to the Scholar-Athlete of the Year Awards, Toyo is also a proud sponsor of Pac-10 men's basketball.
To learn more about the upcoming Pac-10 Scholar-Athlete of the Year Awards and about the Pacific-10 Conference, log on to pac-10.org. To learn more about Toyo and its broad line of tires, log on to toyo.com.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive