Cal Visits Oregon State Saturday
Jan. 11, 2008
California Golden Bears (10-4, 1-2) at Oregon State Beavers (6-9, 0-3)
Saturday, Jan. 12, 1:30 p.m., Gill Coliseum, Corvallis, OR
Radio: KYOU (1550 AM)
TV: Fox Sports Net
California Game Notes
* California looks to break a two-game losing streak when the Golden Bears visit Oregon State at 1:30 p.m. Saturday in Corvallis.
* Under coach Ben Braun, Cal is 10-1 vs. Oregon State on the road, with the only setback being an 82-63 decision in 2005. Last year, the Bears downed the Beavers three times - 77-74 in Corvallis, 84-80, in OT in Berkeley and, 70-51, in the first round of the Pac-10 Tournament.
* In Thursday's game at Oregon, sophomore F Ryan Anderson scored 22 points and sophomore F Patrick Christopher had 21, marking the fourth time this season both players have scored at least 20 points in the same game.
* Over its past five games, Cal is 52-for-113 from three-point range 8(46.0%), having connected on at least 10 shots from behind the arc four times, including a school-record 16 vs. Long Beach State Dec. 28. The Bears were 10-for-21 from long range against Oregon.
* Just 14 games into the season, Christopher has scored 243 points, which is 70 points more than he totaled in 33 games last season. After averaging 5.2 ppg as a freshman, he is tossing in 17.4 ppg this year with 11 contests of at least 16 points.
* Cal, which is averaging nearly 80 ppg, has been a much more productive team in the second half this year. The Bears are scoring 35.71 ppg in first halves, compared to 44.07 ppg after intermission.
* Anderson has made 36 of his last 38 free throw attempts (94.7%), which included a streak of 22 in a row from Nov. 28 (at Nevada) through Dec. 22 (Utah). For the season, he leads the Pac-10 at 85.5 percent.
* Cal attempted a season-low six free throws at Oregon Thursday, making four, far below the Bears' average of 21.1 tries per game.
* Underclassmen have contributed 920 of Cal's 1,117 points this season, or 82.4 percent of the team's total. Four of the Bears' top five scorers are sophomores, including the leading three, while freshman Harper Kamp ranks sixth on the list.
* Cal has posted a double-digit rebound margin five times this season, including a 38-28 differential at Oregon. Senior C DeVon Hardin paces the Bears with 9.4 rpg, while Anderson is gabbing 9.1 rpg.
* After averaging 17.0 turnovers per game the first seven contests this season, Cal is turning the ball over just 11.3 times per game the last seven.