No. 8 USC Opens 2008 With 6-1 Win Over No. 64 LMU
Jan. 16, 2008
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The No. 8 USC women's tennis team opened season on its 2008 campaign with a 6-1 win over visiting No. 64 Loyola Marymount. The Trojans swept doubles action on the way into singles play, picking up five straight wins to secure the victory. With the win, USC takes a 1-0 record for the start of the dual match season.
In doubles play, the Trojans got a clean sweep at the No. 1 slot from the senior-freshman combination of Lindsey Nelson and Maria Sanchez, who topped Mesterova/Tanner 8-0. At No. 3, first-year players Gabriela Niculescu and Leyla Entekhabi teamed up to top LMU's Bulkley/Nixon 8-3, and at the No. 2 slot, Sarah Fansler and Lyndsay Kinstler pulled out of an 0-2 start to claim an 8-5 win to add some momentum to USC's push into singles play.
No. 78-ranked Gabriela Niculescu made an early statement for the Women of Troy from her No. 3 singles slot, posting a smooth 6-0, 6-0 victory over Tina Razloznik. Sarah Fansler was next to knock off her LMU opponent, topping Tamara Tanner 6-0, 6-3 at the No. 2 position to pull USC ahead 3-0 in the match. Securing victory for the Trojans was a newcomer to the USC lineup, as freshman Lyndsay Kinstler came back from a 1-3 deficit in the first set to win 6-3, 6-2 over Bliss Nixon at the No. 6 position.
Shortly after, another USC freshman grabbed another point for the Trojans, as Leyla Entekhabi beat LMU's Audrey Bulkley 6-1, 6-3 from her No. 5 spot to make it 5-0 USC. USC and LMU ended up splitting sets at the No. 1 and No. 4 positions, bringing up 10-point tiebreakers for matches. At No. 1, Lindsey Nelson passed up Paula Mesterova to notch USC's sixth point of the day with her 6-2, 4-6, 10-5 decision. At No. 4, USC's Maria Sanchez fell behind to LMU's Jasmin Heckel as the Lions earned their only point of the match with Heckel's 1-6, 7-5, 10-5 win over Sanchez.
USC's next dual match puts the Trojans up against Long Beach State next week for a 1:30 p.m. match on Wednesday (Jan. 23) at Marks Stadium.
#8 USC 6, #64 LMU 1
(1) Nelson/Sanchez (USC) def. Mesterova/Tanner (LMU) - 8-0
(2) Fansler/Kinstler (USC) def. Razloznik/Heckel (LMU) - 8-5
(3) Niculescu/Entekhabi (USC) def. Bulkley/Nixon (LMU) - 8-3
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
(1) Lindsey Nelson (USC) def. Paula Mesterova (LMU) - 6-2, 4-6, 10-5
(2) Sarah Fansler (USC) def. Tamara Tanner (LMU) - 6-0, 6-3
(3) #78 Gabriela Niculescu (USC) def. Tina Razloznik (LMU) - 6-0, 6-0
(4) Jasmin Heckel (LMU) def. Maria Sanchez (USC) - 6-1, 5-7, 10-8
(5) Leyla Entekhabi (USC) def. Audrey Bulkley (LMU) - 6-1, 6-3
(6) Lyndsay Kinstler (USC) def. Bliss Nelson (LMU) - 6-3, 6-2*
Order of finish: 3, 2, 6*, 5, 1, 4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 11:00am PTLive
TODAY | 3:30pm PTLive