Huskies Fall Just Shy of Hornets in Dual Opener
Jan. 19, 2008
HONOLULU - The Washington women's tennis team got a battle in its first dual match of the season today, coming up just short in a 4-3 loss to No. 56 Sacramento State in a match played at the UH Tennis Complex.
The 70th-ranked Huskies (0-1) lost by just one point to the defending Big Sky champion Hornets for the second year in a row, but were bolstered by the immediate impact of freshman Venise Chan (Hong Kong, China) at the top of their singles lineup. Chan upset 63rd-ranked Katrina Zheltova, a 2007 NCAA Singles Championship participant in her first dual match. Chan got the early jitters out of the way in a 4-6 first set loss, then dominated the rest of the way, winning 6-1, 6-1 in the next two sets.
Senior captain Tara Simpson (Vancouver, B.C.) provided the Huskies' other singles win, also in comeback fashion. Simpson overcame Aileen Tsan, 2-6, 6-1, 6-2 at No. 4 singles.
Simpson and Chan also helped boost the Huskies to the doubles point win and early 1-0 lead. Simpson teamed with sophomore Joyce Ardies (Sao Paulo, Brazil) at No. 1 doubles to defeat Zheltova and Karina Jarlkaganova, 9-7. Chan partnered with fellow freshman Kelsey Anonsen (Victoria, B.C.) to capture No. 2 doubles, 8-6. Anonsen has been with the team less than a month, joining up at the start of winter quarter, but already has a win under her belt in her first match.
The Hornets did not fold, however, and wound up with the victory after securing the remaining four singles matches. Sophomore Aleksandra Malovic (Apeldoorn, Netherlands) lost in three sets at No. 2 singles while Ardies had a tough time at third singles vs. Anastassia Lyssenko. Senior Allison Rainey (Mercer Island) suffered a 7-5, 6-2 defeat at No. 5, and Aleksandra Krsljanin (Belgrade, Serbia), UW's third true freshman in action today, lost 6-4, 6-1 in the sixth spot.
The Huskies will look to get the year's first win tomorrow when they face unranked Hawai'i on the Rainbow Wahine's home courts. The match is scheduled for 1 p.m. PT.
Washington Women's Tennis
Honolulu, Hawaii - Jan. 19, 2008
No. 56 Sacramento State 4, No. 70 Washington 3
1. Ardies/Simpson (UW) def. Zheltova/Jarlkaganova (SAC), 9-7
2. Chan/Anonsen (UW) def. Lyssenko/Tsan (SAC), 8-6
3. Valenzuela/Martinez Gutierrez (SAC) def. Malovic/Rainey (UW), 8-6
1. Venise Chan (UW) def. Katrina Zheltova (SAC), 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. Melissa Valenzuela (SAC) def. Aleksandra Malovic (UW), 6-2, 2-6, 6-0
3. Anastassia Lyssenko (SAC) def. Joyce Ardies (UW), 6-0, 6-1
4. Tara Simpson (UW) def. Aileen Tsan (SAC), 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
5. Karina Jarlkaganova (SAC) def. Allison Rainey (UW), 7-5, 6-2
6. Joyce Martinez Gutierrez (SAC) def. Aleksandra Krsljanin (UW), 6-4, 6-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
Fri 11/23 | 11:00am PTLive