No. 8 USC Sweeps UC Irvine In First Win of 2008
Jan. 25, 2008
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The skies stayed clear enough for the USC women's tennis team to finish off their first dual match of the year on Friday, as the No. 8 Women of Troy notched a 7-0 sweep of visiting No. 37 UC Irvine at Marks Stadium. Winning her second straight singles match of the 2008 dual match season was freshman Leyla Entekhabi, who had also finished off her Long Beach State opponent in yesterday's interrupted match. Topping off the win over the Anteaters was another USC freshman, Maria Sanchez, who pulled off a long third-set tiebreaker to get USC to the 7-0 on the night. USC now holds a 1-0 record on the year.
In doubles play, USC's No. 5-ranked duo of Amanda Fink/Gabriela Niculescu got things started with an 8-2 win at the No. 2 position over UC Irvine's Agababian/Fermin. At the No. 2 slot, the Trojan senior-freshman combo of Lindsey Nelson/Maria Sanchez topped UCI's Broadfoot/Kaloi 8-3 to grab the doubles point for USC. Once the double point was decided, the Anteaters were able to pull out a win at No. 3 with Bernhard/Borowicz's 8-6 win over USC's Sarah Fansler/Cristie Andrews.
USC tallied straight-set wins down the line aside from Sanchez's match. At No. 1, USC's Lindsey Nelson avoided a tiebreaker situation of her own by fighting back and then pulling out one last break of UCI's Becky Bernard to pull USC up 6-0 in the match with her 6-3, 7-5 decision. At No. 2, Amanda Fink made short work of Inna Agababian with a 6-1, 6-0 victory. Sarah Fansler downed Clare Fermin in a smooth 6-4, 6-2 win at No. 2, while Gabriela Niculescu put away Heidi Kaloi with a 6-2, 6-1 victory. Entekhabi's win at No. 6 came in a 6-3, 6-1 decision over Ali Borowicz.
USC's next scheduled competition puts the Trojans up against Pepperdine next week in a 1:30 p.m. match on Jan. 31 at Marks Stadium.
USC 7, UC Irvine 0
(1) Fink/Niculescu (USC) def. Agababia/Fermin (UCI) - 8-2
(2) Nelson/Sanchez (USC) def. Broadfoot/Kaloi (USC) - 8-3
(3) Bernhard/Borowicz (UCI) def. Andrews/Fansler (USC) - 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
(1) Lindsey Nelson (USC) def. Becky Bernhard (UCI) - 6-3, 7-5
(2) Amanda Fink (USC) def. Inna Agababian (UCI) - 6-1, 6-0
(3) Sarah Fansler (USC) def. Clare Fermin (UCI) - 6-4, 6-2
(4) Gabriela Niculescu (USC) def. Heidi Kaloi (UCI) - 6-2, 6-1
(5) Maria Sanchez (USC) def. Brooke Bartlett (UCI) - 3-6, 6-4, 13-11
(6) Leyla Entekhabi (USC) def. Ali Borowicz (UCI) - 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: n/a