Stanford Edged by No. 23 Tulsa
Jan. 25, 2008
TULSA, Okla. - The Stanford Men's Tennis team lost their first dual match of the spring to No. 23 Tulsa today in Oklahoma, 4-3. The deciding point came from the doubles matches as Stanford and Tulsa each won three matches in singles competition. With the loss, Stanford falls to 0-1 for the spring season.
Alex Clayton, ranked No. 2 nationally in singles, returned to action after missing last weekend's Sherwood Cup to beat Tulsa's No. 44 ranked Ricardo Soriano. No. 75 Richard Wire and Gregory Hirshman were also victorious for the Cardinal in singles matches.
Stanford jumped out to the lead in doubles action with Wire and Hirshman's victory over Viktor Kolik and Alberto Sottocorno, but Tulsa would go on to win the other two doubles match-ups.
The Cardinal will return to action tomorrow when they face the No. 2 Georgia Bulldogs in Tulsa at 12:30 pm. PT.
Stanford Tennis Match Results
Stanford vs Tulsa
1/25/2008 at Tulsa, Okla.
#23 Tulsa 4, #42 Stanford 3
1. Arnau Brugues (TLS) def. #96 Matt Burch (STAN) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
2. #2 Alex Clayton (STAN) def. #44 Ricardo Soriano (TLS) 6-3, 6-7 (5-7), 6-1
3. #75 Richard Wire (STAN) def. Will Gray (TLS) 7-5, 6-1
4. Viktor Kolik (TLS) def. Blake Muller (STAN) 6-4, 6-1
5. Alberto Sottocorno (TLS) def. #41 Ted Kelly (STAN) 6-2, 6-1
6. Gregory Hirshman (STAN) def. Ross Cunningham (TLS) 6-4, 7-6
1. #5 Andy Connelly/Ross Cunningham (TLS) def. Matt Burch/Alex Clayton (STAN) 8-5
2. #15 Arnau Brugues/Ricardo Soriano (TLS) def. Blake Muller/Ted Kelly (STAN) 8-4
3. Richard Wire/Gregory Hirshman (STAN) def. Viktor Kolik/Alberto Sottocorno (TLS) 8-4
Stanford 0-1; National ranking #42
Tulsa 4-0; National ranking #23
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,4,3,6,1,2)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 12:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive