California Men's Tennis Edges St. Mary's At Home
Jan. 26, 2008
BERKELEY - The California men's tennis team (3-1) defeated St. Mary's (1-2) with a 4-3 decision today at Hellman Tennis Complex. The Golden Bears won four singles matches to clinch the victory but dropped all three doubles matches to the Gaels. Senior Pierre Mouillon got his first singles victory of the season defeating Marek Dvorak 6-4, 6-4 on court two but it was freshman Jonathan Dahan who came out on top with a 7-5, 6-2 win against Achim Christner that would clinch the win for the Bears.
Cal senior Ken Nakahara was the first to finish his singles match, finishing off Yousef El Bouskouri in a quick 6-2, 6-1 final. After dropping the first set 6-4, freshman Pedro Zerbini roared back to win 6-3 and then 6-2 on court five to give the Bears their third singles point of the day.
In doubles play, sophomore Kallim Stewart teamed up with Zerbini to take on Gael senior duo Joel Kusnierz and Marek Dvorak who came away with an 8-6 win. Junior Geoff Chizever and redshirt freshman Shan Sondhu were unable to add another win to their already impressive young record, falling 8-5 to Achim Christner and Lucas Tirelli.
The Bears will stay at home and prepare to take on their first Pac-10 opponents as No. 6 USC and No. 9 UCLA visit Hellman for matches on Feb. 1 and Feb. 2 respectively. Check CalBears.com for updated times.
No. 39 California (3-1) def. St. Mary's (1-2) 4-3
Hellman Tennis Complex
1. Joel Kusnierz (St. Mary's) def. Kallim Stewart (Cal) 6-4, 6-3
2. Pierre Mouillon (Cal) def. Marek Dvorak (St. Mary's) 6-4, 6-4
3. Lucas Tirelli (St. Mary's) def. Bozhidar Katsarov (Cal) 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
4. Jonathan Dahan (Cal) def. Achim Christner (St. Mary's) 7-5, 6-2
5. Pedro Zerbini (Cal) def. Andrea Zannoni (St. Mary's) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Ken Nakahara (Cal) def. Yousef El Bouskouri (St. Mary's) 6-2, 6-1
1. Kusnierz/Dvorak (St. Mary's) def. Stewart/Zerbini (Cal) 8-6
2. Christner/Tirelli (St. Mary's) def. Chizever/Sondhu (Cal) 8-5
3. Zannoni/Ellison (St. Mary's) def. Gilbert/Katsarov (Cal) 8-6