No. 6 Trojans Take Down UC Irvine 6-1
Jan. 28, 2008
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The No. 6 USC men's tennis team pocketed its second dual match win of the year with a 6-1 decision over visiting UC Irvine on Monday at Marks Tennis Stadium. Freshman Daniel Gliner was the latest Trojan to notch his first singles win in USC dual match play, as newcomers Jaak Poldma and Abdullah Magdas each tallied their second of the season to help lift USC to victory. USC is now 2-0 on the season, with another dual match lined up tomorrow against San Diego State at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Stadium.
In doubles play, USC cruised to pick up the point with a pair of quick wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 slots. #2 Farah/Van't Hof topped Dobson/Sterling 8-1 at No. 1, and then Poldma/Piotrowski matched that score with a smooth win over UCI's Stege/Vaidyanthan at No. 3. The No. 2 match was tighter, as UCI's Issala/Lamm edged Magdas/Sacks 8-6 with the doubles point already in the Trojans' column.
Five straight singles wins would follow doubles play as the Trojans secured another win. #9 Robert Farah jumped out fast and beat Alex Sundling 6-2, 6-1 at the No. 1 spot to grab the sophomore's first dual match win of the year. Jaak Poldma followed with a 6-3, 6-4 decision over Trevor Dobson at No. 3, and then Jason McNaughton clinched things from the No. 4 position with his 6-1, 6-4 win over Stephen Stege. Up 4-0 in the match, USC padded its lead when Daniel Gliner tallied a win from the No. 6 slot with a 10-3 win in the third-set tiebreaker for a 6-3, 4-6, 10-3 victory over Ajay Ahluwalia. USC's Abdullah Magdas went the full stretch against Khunpol Issara for a 1-6, 6-1, 6-3 comeback win at No. 5. Playing at No. 2, UC Irvine's Victor Lamm pulled out a win over Kaes Van't Hof in a tiebreaker to lodge the Anteaters' point of the match with a 3-6, 6-3, 10-7 win.
#6 USC 6, UC Irvine 1
(1) #2 Farah/Van't Hof (USC) def. Dobson/Sundling (UCI) - 8-1
(2) Issara/Lamm (UCI) def. Magdas/Sacks (USC) - 8-6
(3) Poldma/Piotrowski (USC) def. Stege/Vaidyanthan (UCI) - 8-1
USC wins doubles point
Order of finish:1, 3, 2
(1) #9 Robert Farah (USC) def. Alex Sundling (UCI) - 6-2, 6-1
(2) Victor Lamm (UCI) def. Kaes Van't Hof (USC) - 3-6, 6-3, 10-7
(3) Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Trevor Dobson (UCI) - 6-3, 6-4
(4) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Stephen Stege (UCI) - 6-1, 6-4
(5) Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Khunpol Issara (UCI) - 1-6, 6-1, 6-3
(6) Daniel Gliner (USC) def. Ajay Ahluwalia (UCI) - 6-3, 4-6, 10-3
Order of finish:1, 3, 4*, 6, 5, 2