USC Tops San Diego State 6-1
Jan. 29, 2008
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The No. 6 USC men's tennis team worked its way to a third straight dual match win with a 6-1 victory over visiting No. 50 San Diego State on Tuesday afternoon at Marks Stadium. Staying perfect on the singles scene were Trojans Abdullah Magdas, Jason McNaughton and Jaak Poldma, who are now 3-0 each in dual match play with wins against their Aztec opponents. USC improves to 3-0 on the season as the Trojans turn to play Pac-10 teams Cal and Stanford this weekend on the road.
USC put forth a clean sweep on the doubles scene to take the first lead of the match. #2 Farah/Van't Hof upped their record together to 16-3 with their third doubles win of dual match play, topping Ceban/Golas 8-1 at the No. 1 position. Piotrowski/Poldma were next with an 8-4 win at No. 3 over Heidecker/Schulz, and then Magdas/Sacks came back from 3-4 to win 8-6 over Gomez/Shitrit at No. 2.
San Diego State pulled even in the match when Andre Feliz grabbed a 6-3, 6-3 win over Andrew Piotrowski at the No. 6 singles slot, but the Trojans answered back with five straight victories to secure the match. Kaes Van't Hof notched his first dual match win of the year in a 6-2, 7-5 decision over Danny Heidecker at No. 2, and #9 Robert Farah topped Achim Ceban 6-0, 7-5 at the No. 1 spot to make it 3-1 USC. Tallying the clinching match win for USC was Abdullah Magdas, now 3-0 in dual match play with his 7-6, 6-1 win over Juan Gomez at No. 5. Next to win for the Trojans was Jason McNaughton with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Matan Shitrit at No. 4, and at No. 3 freshman Jaak Poldma posted a three-set comeback for a 4-6, 6-1, 6-2 win over Bartozs Golas to round out the day's action for the Trojans.
USC now travels to face California at 1:30 p.m. on Friday (Feb.1) and then visits Stanford for a 1 p.m. match on Saturday (Feb. 2).
#6 USC 6, #50 San Diego State 1
(1) #2 Farah/Van't Hof (USC) def. Ceban/Golas (SDSU) - 8-1
(2) Magdas/Sacks (USC) def. Gomez/Shitrit (SDSU) - 8-6
(3) Piotrowski/Poldma (USC) def. Heidecker/Schulz (SDSU) - 8-4
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
(1) Robert Farah (USC) def. Achim Ceban (SDSU) - 6-0, 7-5
(2) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Danny Heidecker (SDSU) - 6-2, 7-5
(3) Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Bartosz Golas (SDSU) - 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
(4) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Matan Shitrit (SDSU) - 6-4, 6-2
(5) Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Juan Gomez (SDSU) - 7-6, 6-1*
(6) Andre Feliz (SDSU) def. Andrew Piotrowski (USC) - 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 6, 2, 1, 5*, 4, 3
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive