Bruins Rally to Defeat Waves, 5-2
Feb. 1, 2008
Malibu, Calif. - The third-ranked UCLA women's tennis team lost the doubles point but responded strong in singles play, as the Bruins took a 5-2 victory over No. 19 Pepperdine at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center on Friday afternoon.
UCLA (3-0) won the first doubles match, taking an 8-1 win at court No. 3, however Pepperdine bounced back to take wins at the top two courts to claim the doubles point. The biggest upset came at court No. 1, where Bianca Dulgheru and Sylvia Kosakowski earned an 8-5 victory over No. 16 Yasmin Schnack/Riza Zalameda.
Down a point heading into singles, the Bruins quickly took over the match, winning four consecutive matches in straight sets to clinch the victory. Schnack actually picked up the clinching win at court No. 4, defeating Alex Liles, 6-4, 6-1.
In the only match between two ranked competitors, UCLA's No. 41 Tracy Lin rallied to force a super-tiebreaker and eventually defeat No. 99 Sylvia Kosakowski, 6-7, 7-6, (10-0).
Next up for UCLA is the USTA/ITA National Team Indoors, Feb. 7-10 in Madison, Wisc.
1. Dulgheru/Sylvia Kosakowski (PEP) def. (16) Schnack/Zalameda (UCLA), 8-5
2. (35) Bandere/Bhargava def. Lumpkin/Wetmore (UCLA), 9-7
3. Lin/Remynse (UCLA) def. Braverman/Rice (PEP), 8-1
Pepperdine Wins Doubles Point
1. (25) Riza Zalameda (UCLA) def. Bianca Dulgheru (PEP), 6-1, 6-3
2. (41) Tracy Lin (UCLA) def. (99) Sylvia KosakowskI (PEP), 6-7, 7-6, (10-0)
3. Anamika Bhargava (PEP) def. (27) Andrea Remynse (UCLA), 2-6, 6-2, (10-7)
4. (28) Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) def. Alex Liles (PEP), 6-4, 6-1
5. Ashley Joelson (UCLA) def. Anete Bandere (PEP), 6-1, 6-1
6. Elizabeth Lumpkin (UCLA) def. Tania Rice (PEP), 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 5, 1, 4, 3, 2
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive