No. 6 USC Tops #33 Clemson 6-1
Feb. 8, 2008
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The No. 6 USC men's tennis team kept its undefeated run through the start of 2008 action intact with a 6-1 win over visiting Clemson on Friday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. After a sweep through doubles play, USC went on to clinch the match fairly early on Daniel Gliner's win at No. 6 singles, boosting the Trojans to a 6-0 record on the year.
Teaming up for the first time for dual match doubles play was Jack Levis and Gary Sacks, who secured the doubles point for the Trojans by following up Robert Farah and Kaes Van't Hof's 8-2 win at the No. 1 slot with an 8-3 decision from the No. 3 position. Closing out the doubles sweep for USC was Anderw Piotrowski / Jaak Poldma with an 8-4 win at No. 2 to bring up singles play.
Gary Sacks got things started with a smooth 6-3, 6-0 win over Ike Belk at No. 3 to get USC up 2-0 in the match. Jason McNaughton dropped his No. 5 match 6-3, 6-4 to Clemson's Carlos Alvarez, but USC would answer back and clinch the win with a series of singles victories. Jaak Poldma made relatively quick work of Gera Boryachinskiy at No. 4 with a 6-1, 6-3 decision that keeps Poldma perfect at dual match singles play. Daniel Gliner secured the win for USC with the Trojans' fourth point of the day, beating Derek DiFAzio 7-6, 6-1 from the No. 6 position next. At No. 2, Kaes Van't Hof won his fourth straight singles match by warding of set point in the second set to claim a 6-3, 7-6 (4) victory for USC. Robert Farah was entrenched in the only three-setter of the day at the No. 1 slot, coming back to force a third against Rok Bizjak and then take the match with a 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 victory to close down the night for the Trojans.
USC will next face Boise State in a 1 p.m. match on Saturday (Feb. 9) at Marks Stadium.
#6 USC 6, #33 Clemson 1
(1) #2 Farah/Van't Hof (USC) def. Bizjak/Difazio (CLEM) - 8-2
(2) Piotrowski/Poldma (USC) def. Belk/Fleck (CLEM) - 8-4
(3) Levis/Sacks (USC) def. Boryachi/Galloway (CLEM) - 8-3
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish:1, 3, 2
(1) #9 Robert Farah (USC) vs. #61 Rok Bizjak (CLEM) - 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
(2) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Kevin Fleck (CLEM) - 6-3, 7-6 (4)
(3) #43 Gary Sacks (USC) def. Ike Belk (CLEM) - 6-3, 6-0
(4) Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Gera Boryachinskiy - 6-1, 6-3
(5) Carlos Alvarez (CLEM) def. Jason McNaughton (USC) - 6-3, 6-4
(6) Daniel Gliner (USC) def. Derek DiFazio (CLEM) - 7-6, 6-1
Order of finish: 3, 5, 4, 6*, 2, 1