Huskies Cruise Past Arkansas, 6-1
Feb. 23, 2008
SEATTLE - The 27th-ranked Washington men's tennis team turned in one of its most solid outings today, rolling over No. 62 Arkansas, 6-1, at the Nordstrom Tennis Center. The Huskies (6-4) swept doubles and won the top five singles matches in straight sets against a Razorbacks team that came in playing very well.
Freshman Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan ascended to the No. 1 singles spot for the first time, and took down 95th-ranked Blake Strode, 6-1, 7-6 (2). Strode is a two-time All-SEC Team member and reached the NCAA second round last year but could not keep up with Nedunchezhiyan's speed and variety.
The day's quickest match came from a likely source. Junior Ryo Sekiguchi took every game from Bradwin Williams at No. 5 singles, a 6-0, 6-0 shellacking. Sekiguchi is now 9-1 in dual play and has won seven straight.
UW continued to post straight-set wins through the middle of the lineup. Junior Patrik Fischer dispatched Colin Mascall, 6-2, 6-3 at second singles. Senior Andy Kuharszky downed Matthew Hogan, 6-4, 6-3 at No. 3, and sophomore Derek Drabble cruised past Christopher Nott, 6-2, 6-0 in the fourth singles position.
Arkansas' lone point came at No. 6 singles, where Dmitry Lebedev overcame freshman Tobi Obenaus, 7-5, 6-4 in the day's last match.
The Huskies ran out of the gates quickly in doubles, led by their freshman pair of Obenaus and Martin Kildahl, who defeated Lebedev and Hogan, 8-3 at No. 3. The point was then clinched at No. 1 doubles, where Fischer and Nedunchezhiyan knocked off Strode and Mascall, 8-4, in their first match at the top spot. Drabble and Kuharszky completed the doubles sweep with a tiebreak win at the No. 2 spot.
Washington now embarks on its second road trip of the season, facing Oregon in Eugene then staying for a neutral site match with 59th-ranked Denver. The Duck dual match is set for Friday, Feb. 29 at 5 p.m.
Washington Men's Tennis
2/23/08 - Nordstrom Tennis Center
No. 27 Washington 6, No. 62 Arkansas 1
1. Fischer/Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Strode/Mascall (Ark), 8-4
2. Kuharszky/Drabble (UW) def. Tyler Tarnawsky/Taylor King (Ark), 8-7 (6)
3. Kildahl/Obenaus (UW) def. Lebedev/Hogan (Ark), 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. (95) Blake Strode (Ark), 6-1, 7-6 (2)
2. Patrik Fischer (UW) vs. Colin Mascall (Ark), 6-2, 6-3*
3. Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. Matthew Hogan (Ark), 6-4, 6-3
4. Derek Drabble (UW) def. Christopher Nott (Ark), 6-2, 6-0
5. Ryo Sekiguchi (UW) def. Bradwin Williams (Ark), 6-0, 6-0
6. Dmitry Lebedev (Ark) def. Tobi Obenaus (UW), 7-5, 6-4
Order of finish: 5, 4, 2, 3, 1, 6
* Clinching match