ASU Men's Tennis Team Blanks Cougars
Feb. 29, 2008
The Sun Devils won all six singles competition and swept the doubles matches to blank the BYU Cougars 7-0. The Sun Devils are now 6-0 in dual match play.
In the No. 1 spot, sophomore Matt Brooklyn kept his record perfect with by blowing past Jon Sanchez in two sets, 6-4, 6-4. Andres Arango battled past the Thomas Shubert after dropping his second set to win 6-4, 4-6, 6-2. In the No. 3 position, Juan Carlos Rebaza handily defeated Thomas Shubert 6-3, 6-2.
On the bottom half of the lineup, Wes Miller won easily as he beat Cassidy Mears 6-3, 6-2. Harry Skinner entered the Sun Devil lineup for the first time this season in the No. 5 position. The freshman won his match 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-4). Junior T.J. Bellama dropped AJ Young 6-1, 6-1.
The Sun Devils also swept the doubles competition. The dynamic duo of Brooklyn and Bellama garnered an 8-3 victory of Sanchez and Tom Young. Arango and Skinner, who were matched together for the first time this season, won 8-5 over Shubert and Daniel Hwang. In the No. 3 doubles position, the team of Wes Miller and Jon Nanosky II easily earned a 'W' as they defeated Mears and Urbina.
The Sun Devils host Loyola Marymount tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
1. Matt Brooklyn (ASU) def. Jon Sanchez (BYU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Andres Arango (ASU) def. Thomas Shubert (BYU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
3. Juan Carlos Rebaza (ASU) def. Cassidy Mears (BYU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Wes Miller (ASU) def. Evan Urbina (BYU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Harry Skinner (ASU) def. Daniel Hwang (BYU) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0, (10-4)
6. T.J. Bellama (ASU) def. AJ Young (BYU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Brooklyn-Bellama (ASU) def. Sanchez-T. Young (BYU) 8-3
2. Arango-Skinner (ASU) def. Shubert-Huang (BYU) 8-5
3. Miller-Nanosky (ASU) def. Mears-Urbina (BYU) 8-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Thu 1/23 | 5:00pm PTLive
Thu 1/23 | 7:00pm PTLive