No. 7 USC Women Top Washington 6-1
March 7, 2008
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The No. 7 USC women's tennis team opened Pac-10 competition with a win over Washington, tacking up a 6-1 victory over the visiting Huskies on Friday at Marks Stadium. The Women of Troy improve to 10-3 overall and are 1-0 in Pac-10 action, thanks to a string of straight-set singles wins clinched by Amanda Fink at the No. 2 position.
The Trojans kicked things off with a sweep in doubles to claim the first point of the match. After wins from Fansler/Kinstler at No. 3 and Nelson/Andrews at No. 2, #8-ranked Fink/Nelson pinned up a tiebreaker win at No. 1 to keep the duo's win streak alive and well at nine straight victories.
USC powered through singles play on straight-set wins at positions 2 through 6. Gabriela Niculescu started things off with her sixth consecutive win, and then Sarah Fansler claimed another point for the Trojans with a win at the No. 3 slot. Amanda Fink clinched things from the No. 2 position, just before Leyla Entekhabi's 12th consecutive singles win pushed USC ahead 5-0. Lyndsay Kinstler won next for USC from No. 6, while the No. 1 singles match pushed into a third-set tiebreaker. #38 Lindsey Nelson was edged out in the tiebreaker 10-6 by #41 Venise Chan, finishing off the match as a 6-1 USC victory.
The Trojans return to action on Saturday (March 8) with a 12 p.m. match against Washington State at Marks Stadium.
#7 USC 6, #34 Washington 1
(1) #8 Fink/Niculescu (USC) def. Ardies/Simpson (WASH) - 6-5 (3)
(2) Nelson/Andrews (USC) def. Anonsen/Chan (WASH) - 8-2
(3) Kinstler/Fansler (USC) def. Malovic/Radunovic (WASH) - 8-1
USC wins doubles
Order of finish: 3,2,1
(1) #41 Chan (WASH) def. #38 Lindsey Nelson (USC) - 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-6)
(2) #17 Amanda Fink (USC) def. Malovic (WASH) - 6-2,6-2*
(3) #119 Sarah Fansler (USC) def. Simpson (WASH) - 6-2,6-1
(4) #66 Gabriela Niculescu (USC) def. Ardies (WASH) - 6-2,6-0
(5) #101 Leyla Entekhabi (USC) def. Radunovi (WASH) - 6-1, 6-1
(6) Lyndsay Kinstler (USC) def. Aonsen (WASH) - 6-2,6-2
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 2*, 5, 6, 1