No. 26 Sun Devils Remain Perfect with 4-3 Win Over Stanford
March 8, 2008
The No. 26 Arizona State men's tennis team defeated the No. 32 Stanford Cardinal in a non-conference match 4-3 to remain undefeated. The Sun Devils are now 9-0 overall.
The Sun Devils earned the doubles point by winning two of the three matches. Andres Arango and Harry Skinner improved their record to 4-0 with an 8-2 win over Matt Bruch and Ted Kelly. Wes Miller and John Nanosky II picked up an 8-5 in the No. 3 spot to secure the Devils the doubles point. No. 31 ranked T.J. Bellama and Matt Brooklyn were upset 8-4 by Alex Clayton and Blake Muller.
In singles, Juan Carlos Rebaza was the first Sun Devil to finish. Playing in the No. 3 position, the senior breezed through two sets to pick up the 6-1, 6-4 upset victory over No. 85 Richard Wire. Skinner finished next in the No. 4 spot. He defeated Blake Muller 6-2, 6-2. Andres Arango dropped his match 6-1, 6-3 to Matt Bruch in the No. 2 spot.
Bellama won in the No. 6 slot to secure the Sun Devils victory. The junior blanked Hirshman 6-0 in the first set and won a tough 7-5 second set. In the No. 5 position, Miller dropped two tough sets to fall 7-5, 6-4 to Phil Kao of Stanford. In a very exciting match, Brooklyn defeated No. 2 ranked Alex Clayton in the first set but dropped his other two to fall 4-6, 6-1, 6-4.
The Sun Devils travel to Atlanta next week to take on Clemson and Georgia Tech. They will return home April 4th to take on Oregon.
1. Alex Clayton/Blake Muller (Stan.) def. T.J. Bellama/Matt Brooklyn (ASU) 8-4
2. Andres Arango/Harry Skinner (ASU) def. Matt Bruch/Ted Kelly (Stan.) 8-2
3. Wes Miller/John Nanosky II (ASU) def. Richard Wire/Gregory Hirshman 8-5
1. Alex Clayton (Stan.) def. Matt Brooklyn (ASU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. Matt Bruch (Stan.) def. Andres Arango (ASU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Juan Carlos Rebaza (ASU) def. Richard Wire (Stan.) 6-1, 6-4
4. Harry Skinner (ASU) def. Blake Muller (Stan.) 6-2, 6-2
5. Phil Kao (Stan.) def. Wes Miller (ASU) 7-5, 6-4
6. T.J. Bellama (ASU) def. Gregory Hirshman (Stan.) 6-0, 7-5