No. 32 Stanford Splits Weekend After Loss to No. 26 Arizona State
March 8, 2008
TEMPE, Ariz. - The No. 32 Stanford Cardinal finished out their road trip in the desert with a loss to No. 26 Arizona State, 4-3, today in Tempe. The doubles point was the difference maker today, as the Cardinal split singles with the Sun Devils, and lost the doubles point.
In singles, senior Phil Kao recorded his first singles victory this season in a dual match, defeating Wes Miller, 7-5, 6-4, in the No. 5 slot. Second-ranked Alex Clayton notched his second singles win of the weekend, handing Matt Brooklyn his first loss of the season at No. 1 singles in a hard-fought match, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4. No. 76 Matt Bruch also won for the Cardinal, upsetting No. 49 Andres Arango, 6-1, 6-3.
Stanford will return to action against Brown University March 24 at 12 p.m., then will go on to begin Pac-10 competition in a rematch against Arizona and Arizona State at home on March 28 and 29.
No 32 Stanford vs. No. 26 Arizona State
Tempe, Ariz. - 3/8/08
Final Score: Arizona State 4 - Stanford 3
Singles Results: Arizona State 3 - Stanford 3
1. Alex Clayton (Stan.) def. Matt Brooklyn (ASU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. Matt Bruch (Stan.) def. Andres Arango (ASU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Juan Carlos Rebaza (ASU) def. Richard Wire (Stan.) 6-1, 6-4
4. Harry Skinner (ASU) def. Blake Muller (Stan.) 6-2, 6-2
5. Phil Kao (Stan.) def. Wes Miller (ASU) 7-5, 6-4
6. T.J. Bellama (ASU) def. Gregory Hirshman (Stan.) 6-0, 7-5
Doubles Results: Arizona State wins the doubles point
1. Alex Clayton/Blake Muller (Stan.) def. T.J. Bellama/Matt Brooklyn (ASU) 8-4
2. Andres Arango/Harry Skinner (ASU) def. Matt Bruch/Ted Kelly (Stan.) 8-2
3. Wes Miller/John Nanosky II (ASU) def. Richard Wire/Gregory Hirshman 8-5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 9/26 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 9/27 | 12:00pm PTLive