No. 6 Stanford Too Much For No. 13 Women's Tennis as Sun Devils Fall 6-1
March 8, 2008
The Cardinal swept the doubles point, scoring their first point at No. 3, as Celia Durkin and Carolyn McVeigh handed freshmen Kelcy McKenna and Micaela Hein their first loss of the season, 8-4. Stanford carried the momentum and won the next two doubles matches soon after.
In singles, the lone win for the Devils came when No. 74 McKenna defeated 12th-ranked Jessica Nguyen at the No. 2 spot, 2-6 6-3 6-3.
'Give Stanford credit, they came out and took it to us right away in the doubles. That's the first time we've been swept in the doubles all year and I think it set the tone for the match. Hopefully this weekend will be a good learning experience for our young team. It was our first weekend on the road and we now realize how tough it is to beat good teams away from home,' Head Coach Sheila McInerney said after the match.
The next match for the Devils is March 14 at 1:30 P.M., when they travel to the
- L. Burdette & H. Barte (STAN) def. N. Abdala & L. Abdala (ASU) 8-4
- W. Deason & J. Nguyen (STAN) def. J. Leitch & W. Pilecka (ASU) 8-3
- C. Durkin & C. McVeigh (STAN) def. K. McKenna & M. Hein (ASU) 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
- Hilary Barte (STAN) def. Nadia Abdala (ASU) 6-1 6-3
- Kelcy McKenna (ASU) def. Jessica Nguyen (STAN) 2-6 6-3 6-3
- Celia Durkin (STAN) def. Laila Abdala (ASU) 6-2 6-1
- Lindsay Burdette (STAN) def. Micaela Hein (ASU) 6-1 6-2
- Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) def. Jessica Leitch (ASU) 4-6 7-5 1-0(10-5)
- Jen Yen (STAN) def. Wendy Pilecka (ASU) 6-2 6-1
Order of finish: 1, 3, 4, 6, 5, 2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive