No. 23 Huskies Cruise Past Eastern, 7-0
March 14, 2008
SEATTLE - The 23rd-ranked Washington men's tennis team made quick work of its visitors from the east today, sweeping Eastern Washington, 7-0, at the Nordstrom Tennis Center. The Huskies (10-4) head into finals week having won six-straight.
Freshman Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan anchored the No. 1 singles spot for the Huskies today, and was the first player heading to the net for the handshake after defeating Pannhara Mam, 6-2, 6-1. Senior Andy Kuharszky was a 6-4, 6-2 winner over Kyle Schraeder at No. 2 singles, and sophomore Derek Drabble polished off Nico Riego de Dios, 6-2, 6-3 in the third singles slot.
Washington continued to dominate through the lower half of the singles lineup. Junior David Chu dispatched Kenneth Norling, 6-2, 6-2 at No. 4. Junior Ryo Sekiguchi snapped a three-match losing skid with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Art Karas in the five spot, and freshman Martin Kildahl improved to 3-0 in dual match play with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Jonathan Davis at No. 6.
Washington also breezed through doubles play, highlighted by the eighth-consecutive win from freshmen pair Kildahl and Tobi Obenaus. The duo blitzed Riego de Dios and Karas, 8-1, at No. 3 doubles. Drabble and Nedunchezhiyan supplied an 8-3 No. 1 doubles win over EWU's Mam and Schraeder, and Brad Bator and Kuharszky moved to 3-0 in dual play, downing Patrick Millican and Davis, 8-6 in the No. 2 spot.
The Huskies will break for finals week, returning to the courts for a neutral-site match against Sana Clara down in Palm Springs, Calif. during Washington's spring break. UW and SCU will get underway on Tuesday, Mar. 25 at 11 a.m. PT.
Washington Men's Tennis
3/14/08 - Nordstrom Tennis Center
No. 23 Washington 7, Eastern Washington 0
1. Drabble/Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Mam/Schraeder (EWU), 8-3
2. Kuharszky/Brad Bator (UW) def. Patrick Millican/Davis (EWU), 8-6
3. Kildahl/Obenaus (UW) def. Riego de Dios/Karas (EWU), 8-1
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. (82) Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Pannhara Mam (EWU), 6-2, 6-1
2. Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. Kyle Schraeder (EWU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Derek Drabble (UW) def. Nico Riego de Dios (EWU), 6-2, 6-3
4. David Chu (UW) def. Kenneth Norling (EWU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Ryo Sekiguchi (UW) def. Art Karas (EWU), 6-3, 6-0
6. Martin Kildahl (UW) def. Jonathan Davis (EWU), 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 6, 2, 3, 5, 4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
Fri 11/23 | 11:00am PTLive