No. 9 USC Takes Down No. 8 Tulsa 6-1
March 22, 2008
TULSA, OKLA. -- The No. 9 USC men's tennis team dispatched another top-10 squad on Saturday, rounding out a successful Spring Break road trip for the Trojans. Having upset No. 4 Texas on Thursday, USC rode that momentum to Tulsa -- home of the upcoming NCAA Championships -- and beat its host 6-1 on Saturday afternoon. The Trojans picked up the frist two wins in doubles play to secure that first point, then nabbed three straight singles matches to clinch victory and improve USC's overall record to 13-3 on the year.
USC's #2 team of Farah/Van't Hof kept up its perfect run through dual match play by starting the match off with an 8-3 win over Tulsa's #19 Connelly/Cunningham at the No. 1 doubles position. Piotrowski/Poldma clinched the point with an 8-6 win out of the No. 3 slot over Kolik/Sottocorno next, and then Tulsa's #36 Brugues/Soriano edged NcNaughton/Sacks to bring up singles play with a 1-0 USC lead.
At the No. 1 spot, #7 Robert Farah got a win over #18 Arnau Brugues when Brugues retired from the match after Farah opened with a 6-2 win in the first set. Jaak Poldma pushed the Trojans ahead 3-0 with a 6-1, 6-4 win at No. 3 over Ricardo Soriano. And clinching victory for the Trojans was Abdullah Magdas out of the No. 6 slot, as he dispatched Ross Cunningham 7-6 (4), 6-4. Although USC's win was already in the books, Tulsa was able to get a point next on a 6-2, 7-6 (7) win by Alberto Sottocorno win over Jason McNaughton at No. 5.
The Trojans capped off the match with two last singles wins to round out a 6-1 upset win for USC. #46 Kaes Van't Hof topped Victor Kolik 7-5, 6-3 from his No. 2 position to make it 5-1 USC, and then #54 Gary Sacks claimed his No. 4 match on a tight third-set tiebreaker, winning his match 2-6, 7-6 (4), 1-0 (10-8).
USC now turns to face a pair of Pac-10 opponents in another road trip next weekend. USC will visit Oregon at 1:30 p.m. on Friday (March 28) and then faces host Washington at 1 p.m. on Saturday (March 29).
#9 USC 6, #8 Tulsa 1
(1) #2 Robert Farah/Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. #19 Andy Connelly/Ross Cunningham (TLSM) -- 8-3
(2) #36 Arnau Brugues/Ricardo Soriano (TLSM) def. Jason McNaughton/Gary Sacks (USC) -- 8-6
(3) Andrew Piotrowski/Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Victor Kolik/Alberto Sottocorno (TLSM) -- 8-6
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1,3,2
(1) #7 Robert Farah (USC) def. #18 Arnau Brugues (TLSM) -- 6-2, ret.
(2) #46 Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Victor Kolik (TLSM) -- 7-5, 6-3
(3) Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Ricardo Soriano (TLSM) -- 6-1, 6-4
(4) #54 Gary Sacks (USC) def. Will Gray (TLSM) -- 2-6, 7-6 (4), 1-0 (10-8)
(5) Alberto Sottocorno (TLSM) def. Jason McNaughton (USC) -- 6-2, 7-6 (7)
(6) Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Ross Cunningham (TLSM) -- 7-6 (4), 6-4
Order of finish: 1,3,6,5,2,4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 2:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive