Road Trip Ends In Loss At Michigan
March 27, 2008
ANN ARBOR, Mich. - The 35th-ranked Washington women's tennis team closed out its non-conference schedule with a 7-0 loss to 29th-ranked Michigan today at the Varsity Tennis Center. The Huskies (10-8, 0-5 Pac-10) were playing their third road match in four days with a cross country flight in-between.
The Wolverines won five of the six singles matches in straight sets, with freshman Kelsey Anonsen taking her No. 6 match to a third-set super-tiebreak for the second day in a row, but unfortunately she fell short for the second time, losing 4-6, 6-2, (10-6) to Lindsey Howard in the day's final match.
The No. 1 singles match pitted a pair of ranked players head-to-head. Michigan's 66th-ranked Chisako Sugiyama upset 30th-ranked Venise Chan, 6-3, 6-4.
Sophomore Joyce Ardies fought hard at No. 4 singles, but eventually succumbed, 6-3, 7-5 to 106th-ranked Tania Mahtani in the clinching match for Michigan. The Wolverines posted solid wins at Nos. 2, 3, and 5 singles as well.
Michigan swept the doubles point but both the second and third matches went to 8-5. Denise Muresan and Whitney Taney overcame Chan and Anonsen at No. 2 doubles, and Lindsey Howard and Rika Tatsuno won at No. 3 over UW's Aleksandra Malovic and Vanja Radunovic. Michigan's 46th-ranked duo of Mahtani and Sugiyama were 8-4 winners at No. 1 over Ardies and Tara Simpson.
The Huskies will now return to Seattle and go for their first Pac-10 win when Arizona visits on Friday, Apr. 4 at 12 p.m. in a match at the Quillian Tennis Stadium.
Washington Women's Tennis
3/27/08 - Ann Arbor, Mich.
Varsity Tennis Center
No. 29 Michigan 7, No. 35 Washington 0
1. No. 46 Mahtani/Sugiyama (U-M) def. Ardies/Simpson (UW), 8-4
2. Muresan/Taney (U-M) def. Anonsen/Chan (UW), 8-5
3. Howard/Tatsuno (U-M) def. Malovic/Radunovic (UW), 8-5
1. No. 66 Chisako Sugiyama (U-M) def. #30 Venise Chan (UW), 6-3, 6-4
2. Whitney Taney (U-M) def. Aleksandra Malovic (UW), 6-0, 6-0
3. Denise Muresan (U-M) def. Tara Simpson (UW), 6-3, 6-2
4. No. 106 Tania Mahtani (U-M) def. Joyce Ardies (UW), 6-3, 7-5
5. Rika Tatsuno (U-M) def. Vanja Radunovic (UW), 6-1, 6-2
6. Lindsey Howard (U-M) def. Kelsey Anonsen (UW), 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (6)
Order of Completion: Doubles 2-1-3, Singles 2-5-4-3-1-6