No. 4 USC Open Pac-10 With Win At Oregon
March 28, 2008
EUGENE, ORE. - The No. 4 USC men's tennis team kicked off Pac-10 competition with a solid 6-1 win over host Oregon on Friday afternoon. The Trojans snapped a five-match win streak held by the Ducks while extending their own run to five straight victories as USC improves to 14-3 overall and takes a 1-0 start in Pac-10 matches.
Doubles play was entirely controlled by the Trojans as USC moved ahead 1-0 in the match. At No. 1, Kaes Van't Hof teamed up with Andrew Piotrowski for an 8-5 win over Cornelissen/Verdasco. At No. 2, Abdullah Magdas/Gary Sacks captured an 8-3 win over Embry/Mortera, leaving a tighter match going at the No. 3 spot. There, Jack Levis/Jaak Polma edged out Gallardo/Wiechert 8-7 to bring up singles play.
USC cruised through the top three matches in straight sets to smooth a path to victory. At No. 1 Kaes Van't Hof powered past Marcos Verdasco 6-3, 6-3, while Jaak Poldma was cleaning up at No. 2 with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Francisco Gallardo. Gary Sacks rounded out USC's straight-set run with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Alex Cornelissen at No. 3, leaving three-setters going at the bottom three slots. At No. 6, Andrew Piotrowski played out three full sets, finishing off Stephen Wiechert with a tight final set to claim a 4-6, 6-1, 7-6 (6) comeback win. At No. 4, Abdullah Magdas fended off Romero Mortera in a 6-3, 6-7, 1-0 (10-8) decision, while Jason McNaughton got stuck with USC's only loss of the day on an equally close third-set tiebreaker, falling 5-7, 7-4, 1-0 (10-8) to Geoff Embry at No. 5.
USC now heads to Washington to continue its Pac-10 push with a 1 p.m. match on Saturday (March 29) against the No. 20 Huskies.
#4 USC 6, Oregon 1
(1) Van't Hof/Piotrowski (USC) def. Cornelissen/Verdasco (ORE) -- 8-5
(2) Magdas/Sacks (USC) def. Embry/Mortera (ORE) -- 8-3
(3) Levis/Poldma (USC) def. Gallardo/Wiechert (ORE) -- 8-7
(1) #46 Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Marcos Verdasco (ORE) -- 6-3, 6-3
(2) Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Francisco Gallardo (ORE) -- 6-2, 6-4
(3) #54 Gary Sacks (USC) def. Alex Cornelissen (ORE) -- 6-3, 6-3
(4) Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Romeo Mortera (ORE) -- 6-3, 6-7, 1-0 (10-8)
(5) Geoff Embry (ORE) def. Jason McNaughton (ORE) -- 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
(6) Andrew Piotrowski (USC) def. Stephen Wiechert (ORE) -- 4-6, 6-1, 7-6 (6)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive