Women of Troy Sweep Oregon
March 28, 2008
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The No. 10 USC women's tennis team pinned up straight sets across the board for a 7-0 sweep of visiting No. 42 Oregon on Friday afternoon at Mark Stadium. For the third time this week, junior Amanda Fink nabbed the clinching win for the Women of Troy from her No. 2 singles position, helping the Trojans improve to 15-4 overall and 3-0 in Pac-10 play this season.
USC cruised through doubles play with a 1-2-3 finish. #5 Fink/Niculescu shut down Rolly/Powaska with an 8-1 decision at the No. 1 slot, followed by and 8-2 win for Fansler/Nelson over Seremeta/Hirt at No. 2. At No. 3, freshman duo Andrews/Sanchez won their third match of the week with an 8-4 victory over MacFarlane/Olivos to bring up singles play with USC leading the match 1-0.
Setting the tone for the Trojans' straight-set cleanup on the day was freshman Cristala Andrews, who served up a 6-1, 6-1 win over Claudia Hirt at the No. 6 position. Next in line was fellow freshman Maria Sanchez, who took down Ana Cecilia Olivos 6-0, 6-2 at No. 5 to get USC within a point of clinching the match. That set up Amanda Fink for another winning performance, as she topped Carmen Seremeta with a decisive 6-1, 6-0 victory to make it 4-0. Three more lopsided USC wins would follow. At the No. 4 slot, Sarah Fansler stepped in and took down Stephanie MacFarlane 6-1, 6-2, leaving matches at the No. 3 and No. 1 spots still going. Gabriela Niculescu made it 6-0 USC with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Anna Powaska at No. 3, and then Lindsey Nelson pounded out six straight game wins for beat Celine Rolly 6-2, 6-2 from the No. 1 position to round out the sweep for USC.
USC's next action takes the Trojans northward for Pac-10 clashes at Stanford and Cal. USC visits Stanford at 12 p.m. next Friday (April 4) and then plays at Cal at 12 p.m. on Saturday (April 5).
#10 USC 7, #42 Oregon 0
(1) #5 Fink/Niculescu (USC) def. Rolly/Powaska (ORE) - 8-1
(2) Fansler/Nelson (USC) def. Seremeta/Hirt (ORE) - 8-2
(3) Andrews/Sanchez (USC) def. MacFarlane/Olivos (ORE) - 8-4
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
(1) #52 Lindsey Nelson (USC) def. Celine Rolly (ORE) - 6-2, 6-2
(2) #18 Amanda Fink (USC) def. Carmen Seremeta (ORE) - 6-1, 6-0*
(3) #98 Gabriela Niculescu (USC) def. Anna Powaska (ORE) - 6-4, 6-1
(4) #97 Sarah Fansler (USC) def. Stephanie MacFarlane (ORE) - 6-1, 6-2
(5) #102 Maria Sanchez (USC) def. Ana Cecilia Olivos (ORE) - 6-0, 6-2
(6) Cristala Andrews (USC) def. Claudia Hirt (ORE) - 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 5, 2*, 4, 1, 3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive