Sixth-Ranked Bruins Take 6-1 Victory at Oregon
March 29, 2008
Eugene, Ore. - The sixth-ranked UCLA men's tennis team posted its ninth straight victory on Saturday, taking a 6-1 decision against Oregon during a Pac-10 showdown at the Student Tennis Center. With the win, the Bruins improve their record to 15-1 overall and 2-0 in conference play. The Ducks fall to 11-9 and 0-2 in the Pac-10.
After claiming the doubles point, the Bruins took straight-set wins on four of six courts. Headlining the play was UCLA's 21st-ranked Mathieu Dehaine, who downed Francisco Gallardo, 6-2, 6-4. Senior Jeremy Drean (court No. 4), and freshmen Nick Meister (court No. 5) and Ahmed Ismail (court No. 6) were also straight-set winners.
Freshman Holden Seguso, ranked No. 31 nationally, rallied from a set down to defeat Alex Cornelissen at court No. 3. With the score tied 2-2 in the second set, Seguso won 10 straight games to take the match 1-6, 6-2, 6-0.
Oregon's lone win on the day came at court No. 1, as UCLA senior Harel Srugo was forced to retire following the first set in his match against Marcos Verdasco.
1. (37) Meister/Srugo (UCLA) def. Verdasco/Cornelissen (ORE), 6-5(4)
2. Dehaine/Seguso (UCLA) def. Embry/Mortera (ORE), 8-3
3. Drean/ Michael Look (UCLA) def. Gallardo/Wiechert (ORE), 8-5
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. Marcos Verdasco (ORE) def. (30) Harel Srugo (UCLA), 7-6(4), Ret.
2. (21) Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) def. Francisco Gallardo (ORE), 6-2, 6-4
3. (31) Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. Alex Cornelissen (ORE), 1-6, 6-2, 6-0
4. Jeremy Drean (UCLA) def. Romeo Mortera (ORE), 6-2, 6-4
5. Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Geoff Embry (ORE), 6-4, 6-4
6. Ahmed Ismail (UCLA) def. Stephen Wiechert (ORE), 6-4, 7-6 (7)
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive