Huskies Pull Off 4-3 Win Behind Lower Half of Lineup
April 4, 2008
TUCSON, Ariz. - Despite dropping five of six first sets in singles, the 23rd-ranked Washington men's tennis team battled back to snare a 4-3 win over No. 65 Arizona. The Huskies (13-6, 1-2 Pac-10) got their first conference win thanks to victories from their fourth, fifth, and sixth singles players.
With the match tied at 3-3, sophomore Derek Drabble clinched the victory with a comeback win at No. 4 singles. Peter Zimmer took the first set, 7-5, but Drabble picked things up from there, winning the second set 6-4, and ending the afternoon with a 6-3 third set win.
Also mounting a critical comeback was junior David Chu. Ravid Hazi kept Chu off the board for the entire first set at No. 5 singles, streaking to a 6-0 win, but Chu worked his way into the match from there, coming all the way back to win 0-6, 6-4, 6-3.
Washington's first singles win came in less dramatic fashion, as freshman Martin Kildahl hammered Nate Cochrane, 6-1, 6-3, in the sixth singles spot.
Arizona captured the top three singles matches in straight sets to put the pressure on the Huskies. 74th-ranked Claudio Christen continued his excellent play of late, defeating 82nd-ranked junior Patrik Fischer, 6-2, 6-4. Christen upset No. 2 Alex Clayton of Stanford in his last match.
Freshman Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan was up 4-0 in his first set against Andres Carrasco at No. 2 singles, but rallied for a 7-5 win, then closed out the match in a second-set tiebreak. Senior Andy Kuharszky was also edged, 7-5, 6-3 by Bruno Alcala at No. 3 singles.
Washington netted a close doubles point that proved to be decisive. With each team having won one match apiece, Kuharszky and redshirt freshman Brad Bator defeated Christen and Carrasco, 8-6, at No. 2 doubles. Drabble and Kildahl earned the first win at No. 3 doubles, 8-3, over Zimmer and Cochrane.
The Huskies will now head for Tempe to face 22nd-ranked Arizona State on Sunday at 12 noon.
Washington Men's Tennis
4/4/08 - Tucson, Ariz.
Robson Tennis Center
No. 23 Washington 4, No. 65 Arizona 3
1. Alcala/Hazi (UA) def. Fischer/Nedunchezhiyan (Wash), 8-5
2. Bator/Kuharszky (Wash) def. Christen/Carrasco (UA), 8-6
3. Drabble/Kildahl (Wash) def. Zimmer/Cochrane (UA), 8-3
1. (74) Claudio Christen (UA) def. (82) Patrik Fischer (Wash) 6-2, 6-4
2. Andres Carrasco (UA) def. (97) Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (Wash), 7-5, 7-6 (6)
3. Bruno Alcala (UA) def. Andy Kuharszky (Wash), 7-5, 6-3
4. Derek Drabble (Wash) def. Peter Zimmer (UA), 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
5. David Chu (Wash) def. Ravid Hazi (UA), 0-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Martin Kildahl (Wash) def. Nate Cochrane (UA), 6-1, 6-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive