No. 5 USC Men Top Cal 5-2
April 5, 2008
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The No. 5 USC men's tennis team controlled its match against No. 31 California on Saturday afternoon at Marks Stadium, grabbing a 5-2 Pac-10 victory over the Bears. For the second straight match, sophomore Jason McNaughton tallied the clinching singles victory as he put away Ken Nakahara 6-4, 6-3 from the No. 6 position. USC now improves to 17-3 overall and is 4-0 in Pac-10 play.
USC's #2-ranked doubles duo of Farah/Van't Hof tacked up a solid 8-1 win at the No. 1 position over Chizever/Zerbini to open doubles play. Cal made things interesting with an 8-6 win by Heavey/Stewart over USC's Magdas/Sacks at No. 2 to put the doubles point decision on the No. 3 match. There, USC's Piotrowski/Poldma gathered control and earned the Trojans the doubles point with a 9-7 win over Katsarov/Mouillon.
Cal came even with USC after Gary Sacks retired from his No. 4 singles match with Cal's Pedro Zerbini, only to see the Trojans reel off the next four singles victories. #7 Robert Farah started the spurt with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Cal's #92 Kallim Stewart at the No. 1 slot, and then #34 Kaes Van't Hof got the Trojans within a point of clinching with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Pierre Mouillon at No. 2. Securing victory for USC was Jason McNaughton at the No. 6 spot, as he topped Ken Nakahara 6-4, 6-3 with one last break to get USC the win. #87 Jaak Poldma was next to pin up a straight-set win for USC, beating Eoin Heavey 6-3, 7-6 (4) from the No. 3 position. With USC leading 5-1, Cal was able to win one last match, getting a 7-6, 6-2 victory from Bozhidar Katsarov over Abdullah Magdas at No. 5 to finish off the Pac-10 dual match.
USC's next action takes the Trojans to Arizona for a 1:30 p.m. match at ASU on April 11 and then a 1 p.m. match at Arizona on April 12.
#5 USC 5, #31 California 2
(1) #2 Farah/Van't Hof (USC) def. Chizever/Zerbini (CAL) - 8-1
(2) Heavey/Stewart (CAL) def. Magdas/Sacks (USC) - 8-6
(3) Piotrowski/Poldma (USC) def. Katsarov/Mouillon (CAL) - 9-7
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
(1) #7 Robert Farah (USC) def. #92 Kallim Stewart (CAL) - 6-3, 6-0
(2) #34 Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Pierre Mouillon (CAL) - 7-5, 6-3
(3) #87 Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Eoin Heavey (CAL) - 6-3, 7-6 (4)
(4) Pedro Zerbini (CAL) def. #53 Gary Sacks (USC) - 7-6, 1-4 ret.
(5) Bozhidar Katsarov (CAL) def. Abdullah Magdas (USC) - 7-6, 6-2
(6) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Ken Nakahara (CAL) - 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 1, 2, 6*, 3, 5
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive