Cardinal Back On The Winning Track With 6-1 Win Over St. Mary's
April 8, 2008
STANFORD, Calif. - The No. 28 Stanford men's tennis team found it's winning ways again, as it rolled to a 6-1 victory over St. Mary's college this afternoon. The Cardinal battled not only the Gaels, but also breezy and chilly conditions, as they captured all six singles matches.
Things didn't start off as planned, as Stanford surrendered the doubles point to St. Mary's after dropping a hard fought deciding match, 8-6, between sophomores Richard Wire and Paul Morrissey and St. Mary's Marek Dvorak and Achim Christener.
Stanford bounced back though in singles, winning many of the matches decisively. Second-ranked freshman Alex Clayton and No. 95 Wire got things going with two quick victories, both posting 6-3, 6-2 scores. Freshman Greg Hirshman defeated his opponent, Christener, 6-1, 6-4, and sophomore Kevin Kaiser clinched the match victory over Youssef El Nouzkouri by the same score.
The Cardinal will ride this non-conference victory into the weekend, where they will resume Pac-10 play against No. 25 Washington and Oregon as part of Alumni Weekend presented by the Cashin Company. Saturday's match against Oregon, the last regular season home match of the year, is also Senior Day, in which the Cardinal will honor lone senior Kao.
No. 28 Stanford vs. St. Mary's College
Taube Family Tennis Center
Stanford, Calif. - 04/08/08 - 1:30 p.m.
Final Score: Stanford 6 - St. Mary's 1
Singles Results: Stanford 6 - St. Mary's 0
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 4, 6*, 5, 3
1) #2 Alex Clayton (SU) d. Joel Kusnierz (SMC), 6-3, 6-2
2) #95 Richard Wire (SU) d. Lucas Tirelli, 6-3, 6-2
3) Blake Muller (SU) d. Marek Dvorak (SMC), 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
4) Greg Hirshman (SU) d. Achim Christener (SMC), 6-1, 6-4
5) Phil Kao (SU) d. Andrea Zannoni (SMC), 7-6, 6-1
6) Kevin Kaiser (SU) d. Youssef El Bouzkouri (SMC), 6-1, 6-4*
Doubles Results: St. Mary's wins the doubles point
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1) Kusnierz/Tirelli (SMC) d. Clayton/Muller (SU), 8-3
2) Dvorak/Christener (SMC) d. Wire/Paul Morrissey (SU), 8-6
3) Kelly/Kaiser (SU) d. Zannoni/El Bouzkouri (SMC), 8-3
*denotes clinching victory