Men's Tennis Falls To Cardinal, 5-2
April 11, 2008
PALO ALTO, Calif. - 28th-ranked Stanford notched wins in five of six singles matches to pick up the win over the No. 25 Washington men's tennis team today at the Taube Family Tennis Center. Freshman Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan scored UW's only singles win, knocking off two-time Pac-10 singles champ Matt Bruch at No. 2 singles.
The Huskies (13-8, 1-4 Pac-10) came out strong in doubles play, taking the point 2-1. Sophomore Derek Drabble and senior Andy Kuharszky clinched the point for Washington at No. 2 doubles with an 8-6 win over Stanford's Alex Clayton and Ted Kelly. That came following an 8-4 victory from junior Patrik Fischer and Nedunchezhiyan at the No. 1 spot over Bruch and Blake Muller. Stanford earned the win at No. 3, 8-4, over freshmen Tobi Obenaus and Martin Kildahl.
Washington had been 11-0 when winning the doubles point this season, but Stanford ramped things up in singles play. Junior Ryo Sekiguchi could not get on track against Phil Kao at No. 6, losing 6-0, 6-0, and junior David Chu fell at No. 5 singles, 6-1, 6-2 to Stanford's Greg Hirshman.
Nedunchezhiyan helped the Husky cause with his convincing 6-3, 6-1 victory over Bruch, the nation's 67th-ranked singles player, and winner of the Pac-10 Championships in each of his first two years.
Clayton, the second-ranked singles player in the country, defeated 82nd-ranked Fischer, 6-4, 6-1 in the top singles spot, putting the Cardinal on the verge of victory with a 3-2 lead.
At the third and fourth singles positions, both first sets went Stanford's way in tiebreaks, making a road comeback all the more difficult. At the third spot, 95th-ranked Richard Wire broke Andy Kuharszky as Kuharszky was serving to force another tiebreak in the second set, taking the win, 7-6, 7-5. Moments later, Drabble was broken by Blake Muller at No. 4 to wrap up a Stanford win, 7-6, 6-4.
Tomorrow Washington plays its final road match, facing off against 36th-ranked California in Berkeley at 1 p.m.
Washington Men's Tennis
4/11/08 - Stanford, Calif.
Taube Family Tennis Center
No. 28 Stanford 5, No. 25 Washington 2
1. Fischer/Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Bruch/Muller (Stan), 8-4
2. Drabble/Kuharszky (UW) def. Clayton/Kelly (Stan), 8-6
3. Wire/Hirshman (Stan) def. Tobi Obenaus/Martin Kildahl (UW), 8-4
1. (2) Alex Clayton (Stan) def. (82) Patrik Fischer (UW), 6-4, 6-1
2. (97) Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. (67) Matt Bruch (Stan), 6-3, 6-1
3. (95) Richard Wire (Stan) def. Andy Kuharszky (UW), 7-6, 7-5
4. Blake Muller (Stan) def. Derek Drabble (UW), 7-6, 6-4
5. Greg Hirshman (Stan) def. David Chu (UW), 6-1, 6-2
6. Phil Kao (Stan) def. Ryo Sekiguchi (UW), 6-0, 6-0