Kao Provides Clincher In 5-2 Senior Day Win Over Oregon
April 12, 2008
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 28 Stanford closed out its regular season home schedule and won its third straight match overall with a 5-2 victory over Oregon on Saturday afternoon at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
The Cardinal heads into its final contest of the regular season (Apr. 19 at California) with an 11-8 mark. The Ducks remain winless in the Pac-10 and fall to 11-13.
Stanford displayed its home court dominance once again on Saturday against Oregon, improving to 9-3 at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium. The Cardinal's last home loss of the year came back on Feb. 13 in a 5-2 setback against Baylor.
For the second straight day, Stanford dropped the doubles point but stormed back with strong singles play. The No. 3 duo of Gregory Hirshman and Richard Wire won easily by a count of 8-2, only to see Oregon lock up wins at the top two spots for a 1-0 lead.
The Cardinal then jumped out to a commanding 3-1 lead, thanks to straight-set singles victories from Alex Clayton (6-4, 6-2) at the No. 1 position, Richard Wire (6-4, 6-3) at No. 2 and Kevin Kaiser (7-5, 6-2) on court six.
Leading 3-1, Phil Kao outlasted Oregon's Romeo Mortera 7-5, 7-6 (4) at the No. 5 spot to clinch the victory on Senior Day while playing in his last home match.
Hirschman tacked on a 3-6, 6-4, 3-1, ret. (injury) victory at No. 4 singles for Stanford's fifth point of the match.
No. 28 Stanford 5, Oregon 2
1) Cornelissen/Verdasco (ORE) d. Muller/Kaiser (STAN) 9-8
2) Embry/Mortera (ORE) d. Clayton/Kelly (STAN) 8-6
3) Wire/Hirshman (STAN) d. Gallardo/Wiechert (ORE) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1) No. 2 Alex Clayton (STAN) d. Marcos Verdasco (ORE) 6-4, 6-2
2) No. 95 Richard Wire (STAN) d. Francisco Gallardo (ORE) 6-4, 6-3
3) Alexander Cornelissen (ORE) d. Blake Muller (STAN) 2-6, 7-6 (5), 7-5
4) Gregory Hirshman (STAN) d. Geoff Embry (ORE) 3-6, 6-4, 3-1, ret. (injury)
5) Phil Kao (STAN) d. Romeo Mortera (ORE) 7-5, 7-6 (4)
6) Kevin Kaiser (STAN) d. Mike Myrhed (ORE) 7-5, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 6, 5, 4, 3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 10/24 | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/25 | 2:00pm PTLive