No. 18 Men's Tennis Suffers 4-3 Loss to No. 5 Bruins
April 12, 2008
The No. 18 Arizona State men's tennis team suffered its second consecutive conference loss as the Sun Devils fell 4-3 to the No. 5 UCLA Bruins. The Sun Devils fell to 15-3 overall and 2-4 in the Pac-10.
The Sun Devil team of Matt Brooklyn and T.J. Bellama defeated Harel Srugo and Nick Meister in an upset victory for an 8-7 match win. The Sun Devils, however, lost the doubles point as the team of Andres Arango and Harry Skinner and the team of Wes Miller and John Nanosky II dropped their doubles matches.
In the singles matches, No. 61 Arango upset No. 45 Holden Seguso 6-4, 6-2 in the No. 2 spot. Harry Skinner and Wes Miller both earned their second singles victory of the weekend after picking up. Both Skinner and Miller earned fought through four tie-breakers to win their fist set then handily earned the victory in the second set. Skinner defeated Michael Look 7-6 (4), 6-1 in the No. 4 spot. Wes Miller won against Jeremy Drean 7-6 (4), 6-2 in the No. 5 spot.
The Sun Devils host rival Arizona on April 19 in their final regular season match. The match begins at 12:00 p.m. at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
1. Brooklyn-Bellama (ASU) def. Srugo-Meister (UCLA) 8-7
2. Segusa-Dehaine (UCLA) def. Arango-Skinner (ASU) 8-5
3. Look-Drean (UCLA) def. Miller-Nanosky (ASU) 9-7
1. Harel Srugo (UCLA) def. Matt Brooklyn (ASU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
2. Andres Arango (ASU) def. Holden Seguso (UCLA) 6-4, 6-2
3. Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) def. J.C. Rebaza (ASU) 7-5, 6-2
4. Harry Skinner (ASU) def. Michael Look (UCLA) 7-6 (4), 6-1
5. Wes Miller (ASU) def. Jeremy Drean (UCLA) 7-6 (4), 6-2
6. Nick Meister (UCLA) def. T.J Bellama (ASU) 6-4, 6-2