Seventh-Ranked UCLA Downs No. 14 Arizona State, 7-0
April 12, 2008
LOS ANGELES - The seventh-ranked UCLA women's tennis team moved one step closer to capturing the school's first ever Pac-10 Championship on Saturday, as the Bruins registered a 7-0 victory over No. 14 Arizona State at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the win, UCLA improved to 17-5 overall and 6-1 in the Pac-10. The Bruins can guarantee themselves at least a share of a conference title with a win over No. 10 USC next week.
In a match that closely resembled UCLA's 7-0 victory over Arizona on Friday, the Bruins were in total control from the start, taking victories on all three doubles courts to claim the point. UCLA also won the battle of ranked teams at court No. 1, as ninth-ranked Tracy Lin and Riza Zalameda downed 28th-ranked Laila and Nadia Abdala, 8-3.
Following straight-set singles wins from Alex McGoodwin and Elizabeth Lumpkin, Lin clinched the win for the Bruins at court No. 2, taking a 6-1, 6-3 victory over No. 26 Kelcy McKenna. Freshman Andrea Remynse was also a straight-set winner on Saturday, downing Laila Abdala, 6-4, 6-2.
The closest matches of the day came at court Nos. 1 and 4, where the Bruins needed a pair of 10-point tiebreakers to earn wins. Yasmin Schnack, ranked No. 48 nationally, lost the first set but battled back to take a 3-6, 6-1, (10-5) win over Micaela Hein. Zalameda, ranked No. 11 in the country, took a tight 6-3, 5-7, (12-10) decision against No. 31 Nadia Abdala.
The Bruins and Women of Troy will round out the regular season next Friday at the Los Angeles Tennis Center beginning at 1:30 p.m.
1. (9) Lin/Zalameda (UCLA) def. (28) Abdala/Abdala (ASU) 8-3
2. (59) Lumpkin/Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA) def. Hein/McKenna (ASU) 8-5
3. Ashley Joelson/McGoodwin (UCLA) def. Lauren Megale/Pilecka (ASU) 8-3
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. (11) Riza Zalameda (UCLA) def. (31) Nadia Abdala (ASU) 6-3, 5-7, (12-10)
2. (43) Tracy Lin (UCLA) def. (26) Kelcy McKenna (ASU) 6-1, 6-3*
3. (52) Andrea Remynse (UCLA) def. Laila Abdala (ASU) 6-4, 6-2
4. (48) Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) def. Micaela Hein (ASU) 3-6, 6-1, (10-5)
5. (94) Elizabeth Lumpkin (UCLA) def. Wendy Pilecka (ASU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Alex McGoodwin (UCLA) def. Ashlee Brown (ASU) 6-4, 6-1
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of Finish: 6, 5, 2, 4, 3, 1