Huskies Finish Seventh At Pac-10 Championships
April 30, 2008
FAIRFAX, Calif. - Washington shot a final-round score of 10-over 365 to finish seventh at the Pac-10 Men's Golf Championships which wrapped up at the Meadow Club, Wednesday.
The Huskies ended the four-round tournament at 39-over 1459, finishing ahead of the three other Northwest schools in Oregon State (41-over 1461), Oregon (42-over 1462) and Washington State (82-over 1502).
Sophomore Darren Wallace led the Huskies with a final-round score of 1-under 70 to finish in a tie for 13th on the individual leaderboard (3-over 287). Freshman Tze Huang Choo, who shared the lead after two rounds and was two strokes behind the leader after three rounds, fell all the way back into a tie for 18th after carding a 7-over 78. Choo was 5-over 289 overall.
Senior Zach Bixler saved his best for last, turning in an even-par 71 but finished tied for 27th with another fellow Husky Nick Taylor. Taylor shot a 2-over 73 in the final round. Both UW players were 9-over 293.
Both the team and individual Pac-10 titles were decided in a play-off. USC and Arizona State shared the team lead after 72 holes (15-over 1435), but it was ASU that prevailed by two shots in the team play-off on the 18th hole. Arizona's Creighton Honeck and UCLA's Kevin Chappell were also knotted at the top at the end of regulation (3-under 281), with Honeck winning the play-off on the 10th hole by one shot.
The Huskies will wait to learn their postseason fate when the NCAA announces the regional field on Monday. Washington will serve as the host of the NCAA West Regional at Gold Mountain Golf Club in Bremerton, May 15-17.
2008 Pac-10 Championships
The Meadow Club; Fairfax, Calif.
Par 71/6,686 Yards
Final Team Results
1. Arizona State* 354-361-356-364-1435 (+15)
1. USC 338-374-357-366-1435 (+15)
3. California 346-362-371-359-1438 (+18)
4. UCLA 348-361-372-358-1439 (+19)
5. Stanford 350-357-380-357-1444 (+24)
6. Arizona 354-360-381-351-1446 (+26)
7. Washington 357-367-370-365-1459 (+39)
8. Oregon State 354-366-374-367-1461 (+41)
9. Oregon 359-363-374-366-1462 (+42)
10. Washington State 369-380-377-376-1502 (+82)
*- won team title in a play-off
Top Five Individuals
1. Creighton Honeck, Arizona* 69-69-72-71-281 (-3)
1. Kevin Chappell, UCLA 70-68-71-72-281 (-3)
3. Rob Grube, Stanford 70-68-72-73-283 (-1)
3. George Gandranata, California 69-70-71-73-283 (-1)
3. James Byrne, Arizona State 71-72-67-73-283 (-1)
* - won individual title in a play-off
T13. Darren Wallace 72-73-72-70-287 (+3)
T18. Tze Huang Choo 67-71-73-78-289 (+5)
T27. Zach Bixler 73-73-76-71-293 (+9
T27. Nick Taylor 73-75-72-73-293 (+9)
T40. John Wise 72-75-77-73-297 (+13)
60. Kevin Spooner 74-D-78-79-231 (+18)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:30pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive