No. 3 Bruins Blank Eastern Washington, 4-0 in NCAA First Round
May 10, 2008
LOS ANGELES - The third-seeded UCLA men's tennis team opened up the NCAA Tournament with a dominating victory on Saturday, registering a 4-0 win over Eastern Washington at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The Bruins (22-1) advance to the second round and will face Wisconsin (18-9) on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. The Badgers posted a 4-1 victory over Washington earlier in the day.
UCLA's Jeremy Drean and Michael Look continued their domintation at the No. 3 doubles spot on Saturday, turning in an 8-0 victory over Art Karas/Nico Riego de Dios. With the win, Drean and Look improve their dual-match record to 21-2 on the season. Harel Srugo and Nick Meister then ended up clinching the point at the No. 1 position, taking an 8-3 win over Pannhara Mam/Kyle Schraeder.
Meister was first to finish in singles play, as the Bruin freshman downed Daniel Pez, 6-1, 6-2 at court No. 6. Drean then put the Bruins ahead 3-0 when he recorded a 6-0, 6-4 win over Karas at court No. 5.
Freshman Holden Seguso clinched the win for UCLA at the No. 2 spot, registering a 6-4, 6-1 win over Schraeder.
1. (52) Meister/Srugo (UCLA) def. Mam/Schraeder (EWU) - 8-3
2. Dehaine/Seguso (UCLA) led Jonathan Davis/Patrick Millican (EWU) - 6-3 Susp.
3. Drean/Look (UCLA) def. Karas/Riego de Dios (EWU) - 8-0
UCLA Wins Doubles Point - Order of Finish: 3, 1
1. (23) Harel Srugo (UCLA) led Pannhara Mam (EWU) - 6-4, 1-1 Susp.
2. (40) Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. Kyle Schraeder (EWU) - 6-4, 6-1*
3. (61) Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) led Nico Riego de Dios (EWU) - 6-4, 1-4 Susp.
4. Michael Look (UCLA) led Kenneth Norling (EWU) - 6-3, 5-2 Susp.
5. Jeremy Drean (UCLA) def. Art Karas (EWU) - 6-0, 6-4
6. Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Daniel Pez (EWU) - 6-1, 6-2
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of Finish: 6, 5, 2
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive