Golden Bears End Season on Third Loss to No. 6 Trojans
May 11, 2008
LOS ANGELES -
The No. 31 California men's tennis team (13-11, 4-3 Pac-10) fell in a 4-0 loss to No. 6 USC (21-4, 6-1 Pac-10) today in the second round of the 2008 NCAA Division I Men's Tennis Championships at the David X. Marks Tennis Stadium in Los Angeles. The loss will end the season for the Golden Bears, who do not have a player or duo in the individual singles and doubles championships. USC will move on to the round of 16 in Tulsa, Okla.
The Trojans won for the 29th time in their last 30 dual matches at home over the span of the last two years and defeated Cal for the third time this season. Troy's No. 3 doubles of Andrew Piotrowski and Jaak Poldma got off to a quick start against freshmen Jonathan Dahan and Bozhidar Katsarov and eventually closed out the match, 8-3. Meanwhile on court one, Cal's top doubles team of junior Geoff Chizever and freshman Pedro Zerbini locked horns with Robert Farah and Kaes Van't Hof, leading, 5-6.
In singles play, Magdas continued his hot hand and got USC off to a fast start, dispatching of Dahan at No. 5 singles, 6-3, 6-0. About 10 minutes later on court No. 3, Poldma gave USC a 3-0 lead with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Heavey. USC's remaining four singles players were all up a set as they battled to earn the clinching point. Katsarov fought hard in his match against Piotrowski on court six but eventually bowed out 6-2, 6-4 to complete the match.
The Bears set a new school record for consecutive postseason appearances this year, earning a bid to the NCAA Tournament for the ninth straight season. Head coach Peter Wright has now led Cal to postseason play in 14 out of his 15 seasons at Berkeley, advancing as far as the quarterfinals in 2003, and to the round of 16 on three other occasions. Katsarov finishes his freshman campaign with the most singles wins by a frosh in Cal history, 35.
No. 6 USC 4, No. 31 California 0
May 11, 2008 | David X. Marks Tennis Stadium | Los Angeles, Calif.
2008 NCAA Division I Men's Tennis Tournament Second Round
1. No. 2 Farah/Van't Hof (USC) vs. Chizever/Zerbini (CAL) 5-6 DNF
2. Magdas/Sacks (USC) def. Heavey/Stewart (CAL) 8-4
3. Piotrowski/Poldma (USC) def. Dahan/Katsarov (CAL) 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2* (USC wins doubles point)
1. No. 6 Robert Farah (USC) vs. No. 110 Kallim Stewart (CAL) 6-3, 3-6, 0-1 DNF
2. No. 29 Kaes Van't Hof (USC) vs. Pierre Mouillon (CAL) 7-6(2), 5-0 DNF
3. No. 54 Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Eoin Heavey (CAL) 6-2, 6-2
4. No. 72 Gary Sacks (USC) vs. Pedro Zerbini (CAL) 6-1, 2-6, 2-2 DNF
5. Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Jonathan Dahan (CAL) 6-3, 6-0
6. Andrew Piotrowski (USC) def. Bozhidar Katsarov (CAL) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 5, 3, 6*