Cal Varsity 8 Qualifies for Grand Final at IRA Regatta
June 6, 2008
CAMDEN COUNTY, N.J. - Live Results from IRA Regatta
Complete Results and Updated Schedule from IRA Regatta
California's No. 5-ranked varsity eight boat moved one step closer to the national championship on Friday when it qualified for Saturday's grand final at the IRA Regatta on Cooper River. The Golden Bears took second place in their semifinal with a 5:40.088 to finish behind defending national champion Washington (5:39.454). Cal is seeking its 16th Varsity Challenge Cup, the award given to the IRA's annual varsity eight winner.
The Bears won five of their six races on Friday and qualified boats for grand finals of all six events they entered, including the second varsity eight, freshman eight, varsity four, freshman four and open four. Tomorrow is the final day of the three-day national regatta.
In Cal's first race on Friday, it won the first open four repechage in a time of 6:56.699. The Bears' time was the third fastest on the day, as Harvard (6:48.278) and Wisconsin (6:51.514) were faster in the third repechage.
Cal's second varsity eight won its semifinal in the fifth-fastest time (5:47.900) of the four semifinals. Washington posted the fastest time (5:44.670) to win the first semifinal. Cal won its freshman four semifinal, rowing to the semifinals' second-best time of 6:38.128. The Huskies also nabbed the top time in the freshman four, winning its race in 6:38.007.
The Bears broke through to defeat their Pac-10 rival head-to-head when they won their freshman eight semifinal with the top time of 5:38.302. Washington finished second in the race in 5:39.884.
In the Bears' last race of the day, Cal's varsity four with coxswain won its semifinal with a time of 6:20.279, the fastest of the V4+ semifinals, to book a spot in Saturday's championship race.
On Saturday, Cal will compete in grand finals at the following times: Freshman four at 9:12 a.m. ET (Cal in lane 3), open four at 9:36 a.m. ET (Cal in lane 1), varsity four with coxswain at 10 a.m. ET (Cal in lane 3), freshman eight at 11:12 a.m. ET (Cal in lane 4), second varsity eight at 11:36 a.m. ET (Cal in lane 4) and varsity eight at 12:24 p.m. ET (Cal in lane 2).
2008 IRA Regatta - Cal's Friday Results
Men's Varsity 8 - Semifinal 1
1. Washington 5:39.454. 2. California 5:40.088. 3. Northeastern 5:43.585. 4. U.S. Naval Academy 5:47.091. 5. Harvard 5:47.333. 6. Yale 5:47.523.
Men's 2nd Varsity 8 - Semifinal 1
1. California 5:47.900. 2. Wisconsin 5:51.209. 3. Harvard 5:52.111. 4. Northeastern 5:55.533. 5. Princeton 6:03.266. 6. Boston U. 6:03.658.
Men's Freshman 8 - Semifinal 1
1. California 5:38.302. 2. Washington 5:39.884. 3. Princeton 5:50.333. 4. Syracuse 5:53.553. 5. Wisconsin 5:53.560. 6. U.S. Naval Academy 6:07.320.
Men's Varsity 4+ - Semifinal 2
1. California 6:20.279. 2. Cornell 6:20.429. 3. Marist 6:21.334. 4. MIT 6:21.656. 5. Lehigh 6:43.313. 6. Yale 6:44.621.
Men's Freshman 4 - Semifinal
1. California 6:38.128. 2. Wisconsin 6:42.002. 3. Rutgers 6:48.349. 4. Yale 6:49.336. 5. Temple 6:6:51.728. 6. Cornell 6:53.993.
Men's Open 4 - Repechage 1
1. California 6:56.699. 2. Michigan 7:18.474. 3. George Washington 7:30.633. 4. Dartmouth 7:41.067.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 12:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 2:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive