Bears Make Valiant Comeback, but Fall to UCLA, 3-2, in Overtime

Oct. 10, 2008

BERKELEY - After falling behind, 2-0, the California men's soccer team fought back to tie its Friday afternoon contest against UCLA, but eventually fell to the Bruins, 3-2, in overtime at Edwards Stadium. UCLA ended the contest on a penalty kick in the 93rd minute. The Golden Bears suffered their second defeat of the season, and lowered their record to 6-2-3, 1-1-1.

UCLA (3-3-5, 1-0-1) scored the lone goal of the first half in the 36th minute. David Estrada collected a pass in the box that went over the defense and was able to beat Cal goalkeeper Stefan Frei. Maxwell Griffin scored in the 60th minute when he blasted a shot off of a blocked pass.

Trailing midway through the second half, the Bears started to gain some momentum after sophomore Demitrius Omphroy tallied his second goal of the campaign in the 63rd minute. On a free kick, Omphroy booted a shot just past the outstretched keeper in the top corner of the goal.

Sophomore Hector Jimenez tied the game in the 78th minute. Jimenez took a shot that was blocked by a Bruin defender and grabbed out of the air by UCLA keeper, Brian Perk. However, Perk fell backwards into the goal, and the referees ruled that the ball had crossed the goal line. Fellow sophomore Davis Paul earned an assist on the goal.

The contest remained tied until Cal had a costly foul in the box and Michael Stephens beat Frei on a penalty kick in the 93rd minute.

Despite giving up three goals, Frei made five saves in the game, and four in the second half, to keep the Bears comeback hopes alive. Sophomore Andrew Wiedeman led the Bears with three shots on goal.

Cal returns to Edwards Stadium on Sunday, as it faces San Diego State at 2:30 p.m.

Goal Summary

UCLA - David Estrada (Zack Zerrenner, Brad Rusin) 35:26UCLA - Maxwell Griffin 59:12Cal - Demitrius Omphroy 62:25Cal - Hector Jimenez (Davis Paul) 77:34UCLA - Michael Stephens (penalty kick) 92:31
Now on Pac-12 Network
3:30 AM PT

Airing on:

  • Pac-12 Network