Stanford Downs Hawai'i 6-1 In Final Fall Tuneup
Nov. 25, 2008
STANFORD, Calif.- Stanford defeated Hawai'i 6-1 in a mock dual match at the Grand Wailea Resort on Tuesday afternoon, representing both team's final action during the fall season.
Stanford won two of the three doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead heading into singles play.
The Cardinal followed with straight-set victories at the Nos. 1, 2, 5 and 6 positions while sophomore Carolyn McVeigh added a three-set win at No. 3.
Hawai'i collected its only point when Anja-Vanessa Peter edged freshman Veronica Li 6-3, 6-4 at the No. 4 spot.
The dual match result does not count toward either team's overall record, however, individual results do count.
Stanford opens the spring season on Jan. 16 at the Freeman Invitational in Las Vegas, Nev.
1) No. 5 Barte/Burdette (STAN) d. Kobuch/Peter (UH) 8-3
2) Zorec/Nafarrete (UH) d. McVeigh/Li (STAN) 9-8(8)
3) Hansen/Clayton (STAN) d. Wong/Doria Lagnay (UH), 8-1
1) No. 4 Hilary Barte (STAN) d. No. 69 Sophie Kobuch (UH) 6-1, 6-0
2) No. 13 Jessica Nguyen (STAN) d. Natasha Zorec (UH) 6-2, 6-0
3) No. 77 Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) d. Melinda Wong (UH) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0(6)
4) Anja-Vanessa Peter (UH) d. Veronica Li (STAN) 6-3, 6-4
5) Logan Hansen (STAN) d. Alyssa Nafarrete (UH) 6-0, 6-3
6) Courtney Clayton (STAN) d. Cristine Ito (UH) 6-0, 6-0
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 2:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive