UCLA Post-Game Notes and Quotes
Dec. 28, 2008
Notes & Quotes
Follows UCLA 78, Louisiana Tech 55
Pauley Pavilion, UCLA
Sunday, 28 December 2008
(1) UCLA won its sixth game in a row to improve its seasonal record to 10-2 (8-0 at home) while Louisiana Tech fell to 6-7.
(2) The Bruins now lead the series between the schools, 1-0.
(3) UCLA senior guard Darren Collison had a career high 10 assists today (old high, 7, twice).
(4) UCLA freshman guard Jerime Anderson scored a career-high 11 points today (old high, 8 vs. Florida International).
(5) UCLA freshman guard Jrue Holiday had a career high in rebounds with 10 (old high, 6 twice).
(6) Louisiana Tech junior forward-center Magnum Rolle had a career high 17 points on 8-10 shooting from the field (old high, 12 vs. Grambling State on November 18).
(7) Louisiana Tech guard Olu Ashaolu equaled his career high in rebounds with six (also vs. Grambling State on December 6).
Quotes from Louisiana Tech Head Coach Kerry Rupp:
They are a very good team, they are well-coached, well-prepared. We knew we had to be our best going in. We got some good shots, but we made 21 turnovers and that killed us. Again, hats off to them; their staff does a great job.
This was a good opportunity for us; we know that in our conference (WAC), we are not going to face any teams with the physicality and strength like UCLA. But that is our goal. We want to play like that. This type of competition lets us know where we want to be. I think Olu Ashaolu really stood out tonight even though he had only two offensive boards, he was really trying to get those boards on the offensive end.
Quotes from UCLA Head Coach Ben Howland:
I thought our defense was very good in the first half. We held them to about 24% shooting. I also thought we got very good minutes off the bench, especially Jerime Anderson. He really came in and shot it well and made some good passes.
It was good to see Darren Collison with 10 assists and only one turnover. I was impressed with Jrue Holiday's double-double. All in all, the bench got a lot of minutes going into Pac-10 play. The most special part of the night was that Coach Wooden joined us for his first game of the season. We are always delighted and happy when he can make it out.
Malcolm Lee will be re-evaluated on Monday, but he feels better today. Shipp had a nice game for being out for a week. He dunked a couple of times with his bad hand, so it obviously isn't bothering him.
It was good to play against the zone again today. Oregon State plays zone for 40 minutes, but we've played against it plenty this year.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive