Gallien Earns 300th Career Win with Victory over Michigan State
Jan. 31, 2009
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The Women of Troy earned their third win on the season to improve to 3-0 after beating #66 Michigan State 4-0 in their first-round match-up of ITA Kickoff qualifying at Marks Stadium on Saturday (Jan. 31) afternoon.
With the win head coach Richard Gallien gets his 300th career victory, bringing his career record to 300-128. 238 of those wins have come as the head coach of the Trojans. This is a very prestigious mark for Gallien to reach in his sixteen years as a head coach. Gallien has strung together 13 straight NCAA appearances for his Women of Troy, 12 top-20 team rankings, six trips to the NCAA Quarterfinals, one to the NCAA Semifinals in 2006 and Round of 16 runs in the past two seasons. Under Gallien's watch, USC has finished no lower than 11th in the past nine years.
USC started and finished today's match strong. In doubles #53 Maria Sanchez/AlisonRamos made quick work out of the No. 2 spot to beat #48 Stephanie Kebler/Lindsey Lonergan 8-3. Following suit was Sarah Fansler/Lyndsay Kinster who beat Michigan State's Ana Milosavlkevic/Elena Ivanova 8-3 from the No. 3 slot. USC took the doubles point, to have a 1-0 lead going into singles matches.
The Women of Troy continued their dominance in singles, with #36 Alison Ramos not giving up a game point to her opponent Lindsey Lonergan out of the No. 5 spot to win 6-0, 6-0. #57 Gabriela Niculescu beat Michigan State's Ana Milosavljevic to get the third point, 6-1, 6-2 from the No. 4 position. Rounding out the top three finishers in singles and closing out the match was #22 Maria Sanchez from the No. 1 slot to beat Stephanie Kebler 6-0, 6-4.
With the win, USC will turn to face Texas A&M tomorrow, Sunday (Feb. 1) at 1 p.m. at Marks Stadium. The #29 Aggies beat #60 St. Mary's earlier in the day with a close 4-3 win. Before that match-up at 10 a.m. St. Mary's will fight Michigan State. Complete results of both matches follow below.
USC 4, Michigan State 0
(1) Fink/Niculescu (USC) vs. Noe/Wilson (MSU) - 6-6 Susp.
(2) Sanchez/Ramos (USC) def. Kebler/Lonergan (MSU) - 8-3
(3) Fansler/Kinster (USC) def. Milosavljevic/Ivanova (MSU) - 8-3
USC wins doubles point.
Order: 2, 3
(1) Maria Sanchez (USC) def. Stephanie Kebler (MSU) - 6-0, 6-4
(2) Sarah Fansler (USC) vs. Manon Noe (MSU) - 6-3, 3-1 Susp.
(3) Amanda Fink (USC) vs. Elena Ivanova (MSU) - 6-2, 5-2 Susp.
(4) Gabriela Niculescu (USC) def. Ana Milosavljevic (MSU) - 6-1, 6-2
(5) Alison Ramos (USC) def. Lindsey Lonergan (MSU) - 6-0, 6-0
(6) Leyla Entekhabi (USC) vs. Dana Guentert (MSU) - 6-0, 3-0 Susp.
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 1
Texas A&M 4, St. Mary's 3
(1) Soper/Poorta (SMC) def. Liles/Cuthbertson (TAM) - 9-7
(2) Strijibis/Chkhikvishvili (SMC) def. Davidson/Frank (TAM) - 9-7
(3) Potgieter/Oliver (TAM) vs. Aloia/Calvo - 8-8 (4-4) Susp.
St. Mary's wins doubles point.
Order: 1, 2
(1) Elze Potegieter (TAM) def. Alexandra Poorta (SMC) - 7-6(3), 7-6(3)
(2) Morgan Frank (TAM) def. Chkhikvishvili (SMC) - 6-2, 6-1
(3) Claire Soper (SMC) def. Lauren Santacroce(TAM) - 6-7(9), 6-2, 6-4
(4) Sabina Gunnarsson (SMC) def. Janelle Cuthbertson (TAM) - 6-1, 7-5
(5) Christi Liles (TAM) def. Nienke Strijbis (SMC) - 6-7(5), 7-6(2), 6-4
(6) Stephanie Davidson (TAM) def. Marah Calvo (SMC) - 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 4, 3, 1, 5*
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 11:00am PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive