No. 21 Women's Tennis Upsets No. 20 Florida State
Jan. 31, 2009
The No. 21 Arizona State women's tennis team topped No. 20 Florida State to capture their first upset of the season. The Sun Devils (3-0) defeated the Seminales 4-1 in Atlanta.
The Sun Devils led off by earning the doubles point. The Abdala sisters handily defeated Ania Rynorzewska and Federica Suess in the No. 2 slot. After Ashlee Brown and Sianna Simmons dropped their match, Micaela Hein and Kelcy McKenna clinched the point by earning an 8-4 win over Lauren McFarlane and Jessica Sucupira.
In singles No. 3 ranked McKenna picked up the first victory. Playing in the No. 1 slot, McKenna dropped Rybakova in straights sets, winning 6-3, 6-1. Hein also swept past her opponent in two sets and notched a 6-4, 6-3 win. Hometown girl Simmons clinched the match for ASU with a 7-5, 7-6 (8) win over Sucupira.
The Sun Devils face host Georgia Tech tomorrow, along with TCU.
Arizona State 4, Florida State 1
1) Michela Hein/Kelcy McKenna, ASU def. Lauren McFarlane/Jessica Sucupira, FSU, 8-4 - Clinched point
2) Laila Abdala/Nadia Abdala, ASU def. Ania Rynorzewska/Federica Suess, FSU, 8-1
3) Katie Rybakova/Bonny Davidson, FSU def. Ashlee Brown/Sianna Simmons, ASU, 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1) McKenna, ASU def. Rybakova, FSU, 6-3, 6-1
2) Macfarkabe, FSU def. N. Abdala, ASU, 7-5, 6-4
3) Hein, ASU def. Suess, FSU, 6-4, 6-3
4) Rynarzewska, FSU vs. L. Abdala, ASU, 6-7, 4-2, suspended
5) Simmons, ASU def. Sucupira, FSU, 7-5, 7-6 (8) - Simmons clinched the match for ASU ...
6) Davidson, FSU def. Brown, ASU, 3-5 suspended
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 5, 2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 10/24 | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/25 | 2:00pm PTLive